IGNORED

Stomach contents from just one trout from a local lake

SJ ED

I never found any artificial bait in the stomach contents of a trout. But I only fished for them a few years. I usually do not catch fish that were recently released. I usually fish far away from stocking points. I'll ask my friend who has caught 100's. 

But, most fish are probably caught right after being stocked. They don't have time to eat artificials before getting caught. 

I also am surprised that the fish could have been hooked and got free so many times. 

50 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Can they survive after eating all that artificial bait? I often thought about that. 

I read a study on Bass,No most don't survive.They can't digest plastic so it stops their normal digestion process. The bellies in the Bass that were studied where completely flat.

It always amazes me what is in the stomach. We used to smallmouth fish yearly at Wheatons lodge in Maine. Unreal fishing on spednic lake. Catch and release and easily boated over 65 a day between 2 of us.  The lake is massive but you wouldn’t see another boat all week long.  Yet the small mouth would have rubber hanging in the stomach and mouth. Who knows how long they lived like that given it’s not heavily fished. 

1 hour ago, smittty said:

I wouldn’t even eat a fish with all that crap in its stomach. I also don’t eat any farm raised fish there fed  dog food 

LOL, hatcheries use the appropriate feed which is almost always made from other fish. All trout hatcheries I’ve been to, and that’s a big number, used only fish based feeds.