IGNORED

What’s the best thermos? *Stanley update*

DBuck

How big? I have one of these "Swell" bottles and you would never believe it by just the looks of it, but it keeps cold things cold and hot things hot for a long time. I don't know how big mine is - holds about the same amount of water as in a normal sized water bottle (what is that? 16oz?). I dunno if they make bigger ones. The one I have is small and lightweight. Not cumbersome to carry in a backpack.

UPDATE: these: https://www.swell.com/collections/original-bottles

Looks like they have different models and bigger sizes.

The original bottle (the one I have) says, "It’ll keep your beverage cold for up to 36 hours and hot for up to 18, and maintain a condensation-free exterior so you’ll never have to worry about it sweating in your bag or making water rings on your desk."

I can attest to that. If you leave the lid on, I believe those numbers are probably closer to reality than not. As you take the lid off to drink, just put the lid back on quickly and it will still stay hot for a long time - hours. Maybe not 18, but a long time. You'd definitely make it well past your crap thermos' 9am time.

Edited by mazzgolf

I have a few Stanley that were bought within the last five years and they work well.  I fill them with hot water and let that sit for a few minutes to heat up the walls and then dump the water and fill with soup, coffee or whatever I want to stay hot in after that and it will keep it hot all day.  

7 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

I have a few Stanley that were bought within the last five years and they work well.  I fill them with hot water and let that sit for a few minutes to heat up the walls and then dump the water and fill with soup, coffee or whatever I want to stay hot in after that and it will keep it hot all day.  

2 minutes ago, JimC1965 said:

Preheat it for several minutes with hot tap water and never ever put it in the dishwasher to clean.

I do the preheating you two mentioned as well, that's a huge difference in the time it stays hot!

@JimC1965, what does the dishwasher do to hurt the thermos?

1 hour ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I do the preheating you two mentioned as well, that's a huge difference in the time it stays hot!

@JimC1965, what does the dishwasher do to hurt the thermos?

The drying process and high temps of the dishwasher affects the vacuum within the thermos allowing the heat or the chill to be conducted to the outside of the thermos reducing its effectiveness.