IGNORED

Why is there such a critical teacher shortage?

Rusty

Just now, not on the rug said:

Many NJ districts don't pay anywhere near 100k and 100k isn't a lot of money these days, especially living in NJ.  

Agree! For many teachers it’s not about the money, which helps and hurts them. 

5 hours ago, Rusty said:

Teachers are leaving in droves but there are no new teachers to replace them!   Why? 

Schools have openings without a single applicant.  To deal with the teacher shortage classes are being lumped together, resulting in overcrowded classes.  The teachers that haven't left are teaching overloads and are teaching subjects that they don't typically teach.  And it's only going to get worse.  

What happened and how do we fix it?  

Everybody homeschool, better for our kids and taxes will go down 😊

I think a lot of teachers can’t get behind the curriculum some districts are telling them to push on the youth.  Therefore if you can’t put your heart into it they leave.

My moms a special ed/ emotional support teacher in PA and she has been counting the years to retirement.  She has had students hit her,threaten her and tell her they were going to kill her and the district hasn’t done anything to help. Even the union left her hanging multiple times.  

She used to put her life into it with extra curricular and prom and the anti drug commitee but the district has made it to a point where she doesn’t even do that anymore.  It’s the bare minimum until retirement.

Its a lot of output for a very small return.  Heck they don’t even say thanks half the time! 

2 minutes ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

I think a lot of teachers can’t get behind the curriculum some districts are telling them to push on the youth.  Therefore if you can’t put your heart into it they leave.

My moms a special ed/ emotional support teacher in PA and she has been counting the years to retirement.  She has had students hit her,threaten her and tell her they were going to kill her and the district hasn’t done anything to help. Even the union left her hanging multiple times.  

She used to put her life into it with extra curricular and prom and the anti drug commitee but the district has made it to a point where she doesn’t even do that anymore.  It’s the bare minimum until retirement.

Its a lot of output for a very small return.  Heck they don’t even say thanks half the time! 

Awesome post! How many more until retirement? Your mom is a Saint. The system sucks the life out of outstanding people. 

52 minutes ago, Batsto said:

Let’s be honest here. Is 100,000 a lot of money these days for any professional.

The average U.S. household income is $87,864.
The median U.S. household income is $61,937.

Two teachers potentially make 2x-3x more than the average and median household income.  One teacher and one professional make even more.  And, if that professional turns down employer benefits for the teacher's benefits (which many often do) they make even more money.

You won't get rich teaching, but you can live a reasonable middle-class life as a teacher, and an even better one if you have a spouse who also works.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Yup, those damn parents.  My wife got a note from a patent excusing her son from the homework my wife gave.  When my wife asked the kid why he couldn't do his homework he said he had football practice and then had to go to the mall with his father.  That is why these kids are underperforming and babies!

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

The average U.S. household income is $87,864.
The median U.S. household income is $61,937.

Two teachers potentially make 2x-3x more than the average and median household income.  One teacher and one professional make even more.  And, if that professional turns down employer benefits for the teacher's benefits (which many often do) they make even more money.

You won't get rich teaching, but you can live a reasonable middle-class life as a teacher, and an even better one if you have a spouse who also works.

You won't get rich doing the majority of professions but if you enjoy it and get to positively impact another's day.  Your a wealthy man/woman.

21 minutes ago, Sako76 said:

Yup, those damn parents.  My wife got a note from a patent excusing her son from the homework my wife gave.  When my wife asked the kid why he couldn't do his homework he said he had football practice and then had to go to the mall with his father.  That is why these kids are underperforming and babies!

Yea and my daughter couldn’t get a response from her teacher during the day while on remote learning. Neither could I. Seems the teacher was busy when she should’ve been available. Her facebook page revealed what she was busy with

AWM

1 minute ago, MGHunter66 said:

Yea and my daughter couldn’t get a response from her teacher during the day while on remote learning. Neither could I. Seems the teacher was busy when she should’ve been available. Her facebook page revealed what she was busy with

There is good and bad in all professions. 

14 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Are the NJ teachers leaving NJ to teach elsewhere or simply changing professions?

I’m not sure if NJ is having the same level of issues as other states. I do know it’s a nation-wide shortage. But with NJ currently listed as the # 1 public education state, you’d think we would draw more teachers than states on the other end of the spectrum.