IGNORED

NJ Handgun Ammunition Registry

Looks like NJ Bill A1302 creating a handgun ammunition registry passed Assembly and Senate today (6/29/2022).

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bill-search/2022/A1302

Attached is pdf synopsis of changes, but here's a blurb from it:

"The reported

information is to include the date of the transaction; the name of the

manufacturer, the caliber or gauge, and the quantity of ammunition

sold or transferred; the name, address, and date of birth of the purchaser; the identification used to establish the identity of the

purchaser; and any other information that the superintendent requires.

A retail dealer of handgun ammunition may charge a fee not to exceed $5 for a transaction that is required to be electronically reported."

I'm sure it will be challenged in court, but for now all I see this really doing is making more places stop shipping ammo to NJ and getting gun owners to purchase ammo in PA or DE.

1302_S2.PDF

Also just saw NJ Bill S1204 passed Assembly and Senate today. 

This one requires firearm owners who become New Jersey residents to obtain firearm purchaser identification card and register handguns acquired out-of-State.

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bill-search/2022/S1204

Again expect this to be challenged in court as well.

3 minutes ago, Greg said:

So highly regulated system to purchase firearms and they are still way to easily aquired by criminals by buying off the street,,, WTF do they think this will do for them to aquire ammo?  Idiots...

It does nothing to impede criminals.

IMO what these laws do is give them a nice little list of what firearms and how much ammo a law abiding citizen has.

They don't even know how much extra it is going to cost the state to develop and maintain these types of databases. 

Hopefully this stuff will die quickly in court challenges.

2 hours ago, DJ0808 said:

Micro-stamping and training requirement/expiration period for FID/Permit to Purchase also passed Assembly and Senate today.

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bill-search/2022/A4368

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bill-search/2022/A4370

Police are going to love this - just more work they have to do. Think of all the FID cards out there that are going to have to be renewed every 4 years.

when it comes to renewing the FID card...well, there's this at least : :whatever:

A person who obtained a PPH or an FPIC prior to the bill’s effective date would not be required to complete a course of instruction. 

So if you already have an FID card, you just have to renew without taking some course which I'm sure will cost a bunch of money and time to take.

And for those of us who were honorably discharged from the military, you don't need to get instruction either:

The provisions of this bill are not applicable to an active or retired law enforcement officer or a veteran who was honorably discharged as a member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and who received substantially equivalent training. 

I still hate this state. Every 4 years we need to go through the mess of applying for a renewed FID card.

You know what I'm going to do? If I have to mess around with that stupid application process and background check every 4 years, then every time I renew I'm going to also get a permit-to-purchase and go buy a new handgun. And why not? If I have to be forced to go through all of that, I might as well get a permit-to-purchase while I'm at it. Thanks NJ for spurring me on to buy more guns.

10 hours ago, DJ0808 said:

It does nothing to impede criminals.

IMO what these laws do is give them a nice little list of what firearms and how much ammo a law abiding citizen has.

They don't even know how much extra it is going to cost the state to develop and maintain these types of databases. 

Hopefully this stuff will die quickly in court challenges.

The cost will be another tax or fee passed on to the purchaser unfortunately.

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

I'm going to range tonight to fire factory rounds because of qual on weds.  None of my hand guns have seen factory rounds lol

Do you have to use factory rounds for qualification? 

I should be working ... there's always tomorrow