IGNORED

bowstring question

BOWHIO

After missing a small buck the other night i walked out asking myself why? it was a 19 yd shot out of a ground blind 

broadside

i consider myself a good shot but not great i have harvested my share of qua;ity bucks with my bow like most on this site

when i walked out of the woods and got back to my truck i realized 2 things a small stick tangled in my bowstring and mt string seemed to be cut ot sliced it seemed like 2 strands so it seemed , i have shot my bow at 8 yds and realized i have my pin on my 25 yd sight on my HHA sight

but my question is witht the 2 strands frayed is it still ok to hunt with the bow?? the sight thing i can fix with no problem but if i keep shhoting the bow will the string fray more??

any help or insight would be great 

thanks in advance

7 minutes ago, BOWHIO said:

After missing a small buck the other night i walked out asking myself why? it was a 19 yd shot out of a ground blind 

broadside

i consider myself a good shot but not great i have harvested my share of qua;ity bucks with my bow like most on this site

when i walked out of the woods and got back to my truck i realized 2 things a small stick tangled in my bowstring and mt string seemed to be cut ot sliced it seemed like 2 strands so it seemed , i have shot my bow at 8 yds and realized i have my pin on my 25 yd sight on my HHA sight

but my question is witht the 2 strands frayed is it still ok to hunt with the bow?? the sight thing i can fix with no problem but if i keep shhoting the bow will the string fray more??

any help or insight would be great 

thanks in advance

also it was a new string put on in march 2021

micro-frays, I think can be normal, but if it's cut into the integrity of the braided string, definitely replace.   I try to keep my strings waxed a few times a year.    I had an HHA for a few years, never liked just having one pin.  I like a pin for 25 and under than 30, 40, 50 and 60 although would never shoot past 40 on a deer. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

14 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

micro-frays, I think can be normal, but if it's cut into the integrity of the braided string, definitely replace.   I try to keep my strings waxed a few times a year.    I had an HHA for a few years, never liked just having one pin.  I like a pin for 25 and under than 30, 40, 50 and 60 although would never shoot past 40 on a deer. 

Makes no sense then...why not have 3 pin sight?? 20, 30, & 40???? 

Who installed the strings for you?  Personally I keep an extra set around because I have done this to myself before. If you need a set fast I know a great company. But you would have to install or have a shop do it. If you are close by I can do it in a couple hours. The couple hours consists of string install and tune. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

Just now, Ron said:

Who installed the strings for you?  Personally I keep an extra set around because I have done this to myself before. If you need a set fast I know a great company. But you would have to install or have a shop do it. If you are clo

i se by I can do it in a couple hours. The couple hours consists of string install and tune. 

i had tom at simon peter install it he is the only one who has done work on my bow im gonna take a ride up there tomorrow 

i do have my old string that i will bring with me

9 minutes ago, BOWHIO said:

i had tom at simon peter install it he is the only one who has done work on my bow im gonna take a ride up there tomorrow 

i do have my old string that i will bring with me

don't put an old string on - maybe Tom will replace string for free if it's defective. If you sliced it somehow well that's on you. Tom is the sole owner now he bought Rich out.   Very happy for him.

Stop by you are not far if you are there

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

4 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

don't put an old string on - maybe Tom will replace string for free if it's defective. If you sliced it somehow well that's on you. Tom is the sole owner now he bought Rich out.   Very happy for him.

Stop by you are not far if you are there

pm me your address

I am not capable of shooting beyond 40 yards (As Clint said, a man has to know his own limitations). It doesn’t make sense having a 5 pin sight if your only shooting out to 40 yards. I was not knocking Jack, as he obviously can shoot. Just think 3 pins is more appropriate if you only shoot out to 40 yds

Edited by nmc02