IGNORED

prime rib

Kype

On 12/15/2021 at 9:46 AM, Mountain Goat said:

Shoprite by me in PA has a sale this Friday and Saturday only.  4.79 a lb. It is normally a week sale but this year just 2 days.  

It's being extended into next week. Between Shop Rite and Acme, who has it for $5.99, I usually end up buying three or four to use throughout the year. Rib Roasts are selling for double the price in Costco, Sams, and BJ's. I say "rib" roast because it's "choice" grade of meat. Shop Rite gives you regular for $4.79 or Angus for a dollar more per pound, but they are both choice grade. I hesitate to call it "prime" rib because that implies a "prime" grade of meat. 

Buyer beware: Acme is "Select" grade, which is below "choice". Doesn't mean it's not good. Just more lean. 

Edited by archer36

1 hour ago, archer36 said:

It's being extended into next week. Between Shop Rite and Acme, who has it for $5.99, I usually end up buying three or four to use throughout the year. Rib Roasts are selling for double the price in Costco, Sams, and BJ's. I say "rib" roast because it's "choice" grade of meat. Shop Rite gives you regular for $4.79 or Angus for a dollar more per pound, but they are both choice grade. I hesitate to call it "prime" rib because that implies a "prime" grade of meat. 

I have had Prime steaks before and although good not worth the arm and leg you pay IMO.  The ones from the local stores are very good.

9 hours ago, archer36 said:

Buyer beware: Acme is "Select" grade, which is below "choice". Doesn't mean it's not good. Just more lean. 

Prime in “prime rib” doesn’t refer to the grade of the meat it’s referring to the cut which is the rib primal. 

Those are great prices when a ribeye cost around 20$ a pound right now! Buy the standing rib roast and cut them into ribeye for a fraction of the cost. 

14 hours ago, Hitemnasty said:

Prime in “prime rib” doesn’t refer to the grade of the meat it’s referring to the cut which is the rib primal. 

Those are great prices when a ribeye cost around 20$ a pound right now! Buy the standing rib roast and cut them into ribeye for a fraction of the cost. 

Yes, I have heard that explanation. But if you look at the labeling and advertising, most say "rib" roast so as not to get into squabbles about grade. In Shop Rites Ad, the state Prime Rib and Rib Roast on the same ad. The choice cut of roast at $4.79 they state Prime. The Angus at $5.79 they state Rib. A Rib steak is not called Prime Rib steak. I agree with your explanation but I feel it's very misleading and probably won't change.

I bought a Rib Roast yesterday at Acme and it was a "select" grade of meat which is under choice grade. They labeled it as a Rib Roast. It would be a stretch calling that a Prime Rib. 

my wife is at shoprite now in phillpsburg. she said they only have prime rib there for $175. i guess its the larger cuts. all i wanted was a 3 bone prime rib but i guess they dont have any. 

might try raths tomorrow but i wasnt impressed the last time i went there. i think theres a decent butcher in washington. arctic meats? i think its called. i never been there. 

3 minutes ago, BHC said:

This morning phillipsburg shoprite had various sizes but not that big...I got 8.4 lb one

yeah 6-8 pounds is a nice size. apparently they are all out as of now. im thinking of buying the $175 cut and maybe vaccum seal sections of it. i could cook 3 bones at a time.