IGNORED

Rate this year's turkey season

BIG PAT

9 hours ago, MPSR said:

Predation, wet springs, and bad winters all form a recipe for disaster.

I spoke to a biologist and was advise Bobcats up north have been putting a hurting on them while on roost as they climb the tree’s and pull them to the ground..

Maybe a few to the Bobcats but not the problem. We have no Bobcats and no bears here in the middle of the state and the bird numbers are WAY down. Any bird I know of are bird feeder birds and live in the yards most of the day. It's not really hunting if the biggest challenge is calling them out of someone's yard. 

37 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Maybe a few to the Bobcats but not the problem. We have no Bobcats and no bears here in the middle of the state and the bird numbers are WAY down. Any bird I know of are bird feeder birds and live in the yards most of the day. It's not really hunting if the biggest challenge is calling them out of someone's yard. 

Where are these bird feeders you speak of, 😂 

I would say a C+. For me it really wasn't that bad and still have a tag to try and punch on Saturday. I found more birds this season than in years past. Sure some areas that normally had birds didn't have any, but also places that don't normally have birds held them this year. Some flocks seem to move around a lot year to year.

Actually getting them to work in range is a different story. They've adapted and seem to rarely be alone making it really tough to work gobblers away from hens.

I'm the complete opposite of everyone else. I'm rating this season an A+! I can't believe the season I'm having. It's by far the best I've ever had. I normally buy one permit per week, hunt hard everyday, and if I shoot one turkey I'm happy - 2 turkeys is a banner year for me.  I don't dare to think I could get any more than that.

This year? I've heard or seen turkeys on every day's hunt but I think maybe 2 days of hunting. I have harvested a turkey for every period I have hunted so far (except E) --- I punched my A, B, C, and this morning my D permit. I've harvested 4 turkeys, in 3 different zones. It's unbelievable - I never would have thought I'd have a season like this. I don't think I'll ever have another one like it.

I have one more D permit and I have the last Saturday for E... I want the E bird so I can say I got a bird in every period - I never would have thought it would have been possible.

Where,I  live in Orange County, NY- Took care of 21 this year.

I Mow 3 Long Trails wide- Sewerline- has to stay open.

And I  feed year round- Birdseed + Unsalted dry roasted peanuts. 

Pic is of Fred on my Deck next to my Front door. Barney in background along with the Alfa Jake.

I usually  stay with them a good 10 minutes as they eat. You learn much that way- rather then Throw and go.

Orange County- A+-- Passaic  County, NJ-- F-...

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

20 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I'm the complete opposite of everyone else. I'm rating this season an A+! I can't believe the season I'm having. It's by far the best I've ever had. I normally buy one permit per week, hunt hard everyday, and if I shoot one turkey I'm happy - 2 turkeys is a banner year for me.  I don't dare to think I could get any more than that.

This year? I've heard or seen turkeys on every day's hunt but I think maybe 2 days of hunting. I have harvested a turkey for every period I have hunted so far (except E) --- I punched my A, B, C, and this morning my D permit. I've harvested 4 turkeys, in 3 different zones. It's unbelievable - I never would have thought I'd have a season like this. I don't think I'll ever have another one like it.

I have one more D permit and I have the last Saturday for E... I want the E bird so I can say I got a bird in every period - I never would have thought it would have been possible.

So you're going for a NJ slam this Saturday...good luck & let us know what happens out there....

D.  Probably the worst hunting season turkey wise I’ve had.   The reason I gave it a D and not an F is I know there are turkeys on the private land across the road from the public I’m hunting.  They have food, safety and girls there though so why leave.  Friends and family in PA did well on private farms but still a slow season there.  Next year maybe I’ll go back to PA to hunt farm birds.  

Fred’s below post of the Georgia comprehensive study of decline that goes back 20 yrs starting in Arkansas is very interesting...there is something going on and at least Dr Chamberlain cares enough to try and get some answers....

although....he does mention habitat is a key component and to try and do 1 thing a year to improve your habitat....

but since last spring my spots habitat hasn’t changed much if at all and the birds are still scarce!!

I’d give it a B/B-..Definitely have had to work harder for them, and they’ve overall been a lot more quiet this season for me.. I’ve killed 3 thus far (E, C, yesterday D), missed one (A), and a couple other coulda woulda’s I roosted that flew down just out of range. B week was tough. 95% of my hunting has been on public too. I’ve also put a few people on birds that have connected or whiffed.

We already have poults down south, I think they got bred early which has made it more challenging. But it’s been fun nonetheless. Still have a tag in my pocket for Saturday. 

A+ for me.  Love the hunt.  We hunt mnt birds for the most part so we never see any  flocks of birds.   We had action everyday I believe and I scored last Saturday.  Will be out this last Saturday calling for my bro and buddy.  I find where we hunt birds are in different areas every year so scouting helps me .  We also find that turkeys defiantly seem to move bc one week there is no sign then two weeks later lots of sign but that's hunting...haha.  Once we know where they are its Go Time!