IGNORED

MeatEater

Anyone else completely obsessed with MeatEater, the show, the brand, Steven Rinella, Janis Putelis, Ryan Callaghan, and the rest of the MeatEater team and spin-off shows and videos?

I always say it’s because of our beloved dictator Phil Murphy getting elected that I applied for my FID and purchased my first gun, but in the meantime while waiting almost 6 months for the detective assigned to my application to finally get it to the chief, I started watching MeatEater almost out of spite. I originally had no intention of even shooting a gun except in an emergency, let alone becoming a hunter when I applied for my FID. I just wanted a gun for home defense, but the way Steven Rinella talks about hunting, the outdoors, and his personal philosophies and ethics regarding hunting and conservation drew me in more than anyone else I’ve seen or heard before or since. 

I was raised in basically an anti-hunting and anti-guns household, but the last couple years have been an absolutely joy-filled and eye-opening shift in lifestyle concerning the outdoors and firearms, as well as morality surrounding responsible meat acquisition and consumption. Might sound silly that a TV show was the catalyst, but it’s true. And not only the catalyst, but a continued obsession lol. I still watch episodes from all 9 seasons over and over and over and over again, as well as listen to the podcasts and watch the spin-offs like “Das Boat” “Back 40” “Cal in the Field” “Fur Hat Ice Tour” “MeatEater Hunts” the list goes on...

In my opinion there is simply no other hunting/fishing show that comes close to the quality of camera work, overall content, soundtracks (I hate the typical hard rock instrumental music in the background of just about every other hunting show or YouTube video I’ve ever seen), honest and sometimes downright “sensitive” and “emotional” explanations of both hunting and non-hunting elements of being out in nature.

Thank you Steven Rinella for showing the world (and especially anti-hunters and/or those who don’t know any better like how I didn’t) that hunting isn’t about a bunch of bloodthirsty barbaric cavemen who don’t care about animals or morality, and that in fact it’s quite the opposite apart from a few bad apples who ruin the public image for everyone else.

I’m a MeatEater addict, and I’m not going to apologize for it haha.

Edited by alabjr

2 minutes ago, Greg said:

watch "Stars in the sky" he did on netflix if you can, very good documentary 

I’ve seen it.... twice.... 😂 told you I’m an addict.

now that you mention it, I should probably watch it a third time! Haha

it is a great documentary for sure, btw

10 minutes ago, Buckeyes11 said:

Meateater is awesome. Very realistic show. It’s very cool to watch him process and prepare game. 

Yeah, I like that it’s not all about the kill being the culmination of the episode but rather the meal. 

I also love that he has plenty of episodes where he A. doesn’t succeed at harvesting the animal he was after, B. shows his mistakes of missed or bad shots, C. makes the conscious decision to PASS on an animal, just because he’d rather enjoy more time hunting (if it was the first day of a trip let’s say), or because he’d rather watch the animal at that moment instead of shoot it. 

11 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I don't watch much TV so I never watched this show as well. I will give it a try if I can find it, Where can I find it? 

They have a Netflix deal now but their YouTube channel has been putting up old seasons