IGNORED

How was your deer season?

BillW0323

Crazy deer season for me.  I shot and recovered 4 bucks; injured myself; had my first tracking dog experience.....

Buck #1: PA - 9/25/20

Shot this 8 pointer with a crossbow.  Nice double lung shot at 17  yards.  He didn't go far.  It was hot out and I was rushing the field dressing.  I reached in and grabbed the esophagus with my left hand and started cutting with my right with my gerber knife.  Instead of esophagus, I went right through my thumb tendon.  Didn't hurt, but I felt my thumb go numb.  Pulled my left hand out and I was just pouring blood.  Drove to the hospital, got a ton of IV antibiotics and some stitches.  Had to go back for surgery a few days later.  They were able to re-attach the tendon but I had no use of my left thumb for about 5 weeks while it was in a cast.  It really wasn't until around January that I started being able to grip things with my left hand.  Right now, it's probably about 80% of what it used to be in terms of strength and flexibility / range of motion.  Be careful / take your time.  I was an idiot.  I continued to hunt....  

Buck #2 MD - 11/8/20

Shot this 9 pointer with a crossbow.  I wasn't sure of the hit.  It was a 38 yard shot.  I saw him run a little, stand for a while, then trot off.  I waited an hour and quietly got down.  There was heavy blood where he was standing.  I quietly tracked a real good blood trail for about 125 yards and then I heard him get up and run off.  I immediately backed out and called a dog tracker (figured it was a liver hit but not really sure).  By the time the tracker came out, it was about 6 hours after the shot.  We tracked him for about 500 yards on very little blood and it petered out.  The dog kept going another 500 yards and we got to a river / creek crossing that was full of deer bedding and we gave up.  Exactly 1  week later, I was walking through the same area and found him not 25 yards from where we pulled the dog.  We should have trusted the dog, we just figured he was on other deer by then.  You can see him below and a live pic of him on cam a week earlier.  I tagged him and got a Euro mount.  

Buck #3 MD - 12/5/20

Shot this 8 pointer with a rifle in 350 Legend.  100 yard shot from a ground blind.  Dropped on the spot.  Drove the truck right up to him.  I couldn't field dress him (because I was basically still one handed) but I called my butcher and he said he'd do it.  Easy recovery.  

Buck #4 MD - 12/9/20

Was hunting a farm.  I went down in the late morning and the farmer was working in the area I wanted to hunt.  I ended out just walking to other end of the farm and sitting on a field edge on the ground in some tall grass.  This guy came out with about 15 minutes left.  I took a 215 yard shot with my 350L.  He dropped on the spot.  Not a step.  Another easy recovery / drove the truck right up to him.  Butcher field dressed for me again.  I had the sig sauer RF scope on my 350 L.  As you know these straight walled guns have a lot of drop that far out.  But, I felt confidant with the sig scope (the cross hairs were actually just over the bucks back) but I had a precise holdover / aim point.  He has a bit of pie bald in him.  

I shot a few doe in NJ...but no NJ bucks.  

thumb injury.jpg

Buck 1.jpg

BUCK 2B.jpg

Buck 2c.jpg

BUCK 2A.jpg

Buck 4b.jpg

buck 4c.jpg

buck 4d.jpg

buck 4a.jpg

Buck 3.jpg

Buck 3a.jpg

Edited by dlist777

6 hours ago, deletereturnshift said:

My deer season was good. Didn't get a deer, but it was still time well spent. 

This was my second season hunting all together, but also my first bow season. I had a lot of ups and a lot of downs, but I learned a lot. 

@deadonshot2 spent a day with me in October walking me through a few things and gave me a ton of knowledge, even let me sit in one of his stands so big thanks to him!

I was close a few times on getting my first deer, but wasn't able to to get a shot. I'm making some adjustments to my setup so that if I end up in similar situations like I did last year, I can get a deer down. 

I hope to get more time in the woods this fall and scout more, learn more, hunt more, and hopefully get my first deer. 

Your first will be well earned. Having patience like you did with a deer within 15 yards waiting on the proper shot showed great respect for the animal you are hunting.  Again, my offer stands to scout/set something up for you in the 13,000 acres. 

4 hours ago, Sharpdogs said:

Overall it was a great year.  First bow season with my son.  We saw a ton of deer in the first half but Zero in the second half.  Lots of laughs and memories.  I am real proud of my son getting his first archery harvest.

20201004_084405.jpg

Thats what it all about the memories that last forever.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

3 hours ago, dlist777 said:

Crazy deer season for me.  I shot and recovered 4 bucks; injured myself; had my first tracking dog experience.....

Buck #1: PA - 9/25/20

Shot this 8 pointer with a crossbow.  Nice double lung shot at 17  yards.  He didn't go far.  It was hot out and I was rushing the field dressing.  I reached in and grabbed the esophagus with my left hand and started cutting with my right with my gerber knife.  Instead of esophagus, I went right through my thumb tendon.  Didn't hurt, but I felt my thumb go numb.  Pulled my left hand out and I was just pouring blood.  Drove to the hospital, got a ton of IV antibiotics and some stitches.  Had to go back for surgery a few days later.  They were able to re-attach the tendon but I had no use of my left thumb for about 5 weeks while it was in a cast.  It really wasn't until around January that I started being able to grip things with my left hand.  Right now, it's probably about 80% of what it used to be in terms of strength and flexibility / range of motion.  Be careful / take your time.  I was an idiot.  I continued to hunt....  

Buck #2 MD - 11/8/20

Shot this 9 pointer with a crossbow.  I wasn't sure of the hit.  It was a 38 yard shot.  I saw him run a little, stand for a while, then trot off.  I waited an hour and quietly got down.  There was heavy blood where he was standing.  I quietly tracked a real good blood trail for about 125 yards and then I heard him get up and run off.  I immediately backed out and called a dog tracker (figured it was a liver hit but not really sure).  By the time the tracker came out, it was about 6 hours after the shot.  We tracked him for about 500 yards on very little blood and it petered out.  The dog kept going another 500 yards and we got to a river / creek crossing that was full of deer bedding and we gave up.  Exactly 1  week later, I was walking through the same area and found him not 25 yards from where we pulled the dog.  We should have trusted the dog, we just figured he was on other deer by then.  You can see him below and a live pic of him on cam a week earlier.  I tagged him and got a Euro mount.  

Buck #3 MD - 12/5/20

Shot this 8 pointer with a rifle in 350 Legend.  100 yard shot from a ground blind.  Dropped on the spot.  Drove the truck right up to him.  I couldn't field dress him (because I was basically still one handed) but I called my butcher and he said he'd do it.  Easy recovery.  

Buck #4 MD - 12/9/20

Was hunting a farm.  I went down in the late morning and the farmer was working in the area I wanted to hunt.  I ended out just walking to other end of the farm and sitting on a field edge on the ground in some tall grass.  This guy came out with about 15 minutes left.  I took a 215 yard shot with my 350L.  He dropped on the spot.  Not a step.  Another easy recovery / drove the truck right up to him.  Butcher field dressed for me again.  I had the sig sauer RF scope on my 350 L.  As you know these straight walled guns have a lot of drop that far out.  But, I felt confidant with the sig scope (the cross hairs were actually just over the bucks back) but I had a precise holdover / aim point.  He has a bit of pie bald in him.  

I shot a few doe in NJ...but no NJ bucks.  

thumb injury.jpg

Buck 1.jpg

BUCK 2B.jpg

Buck 2c.jpg

BUCK 2A.jpg

Buck 4b.jpg

buck 4c.jpg

buck 4d.jpg

buck 4a.jpg

Buck 3.jpg

Buck 3a.jpg

Definitely a season to remember CONGRATULATIONS on a GREAT YEAR !!

HONOR THE FALLEN
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

8 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

My son and I had a good season . Shot some does and each took two 8 points . His were bigger and he reminds of that every chance he gets . 

DDEC8D83-BB1A-4868-83AA-80A3C0654C71.jpeg

9E6134FD-46F2-4125-88BD-CA0D7D6D29D1.jpeg

0C5B6ACC-7AAD-4F90-B89B-907193F6106F.jpeg

8773B5F0-FC4D-47CF-A538-9126580803C4.jpeg

C4603174-C74A-4A6B-9889-13B65469EC6B.jpeg

0A0F0BE7-1D61-42CF-B790-D481428C3CAF.jpeg

776471B8-3962-44D1-8C0A-ABDF4D8EFA95.jpeg

F98CCAA7-CA9F-47FA-BE4B-A7698424E181.jpeg

3CCD7EBB-8B18-4E42-BD5F-D1E6FD7FD42B.jpeg

379CB8A1-6837-4F65-8690-980F0AA2006D.jpeg

It great that his deer were bigger, that what it all about DAD, CONGRATULATIONS on a Great season. !!

HONOR THE FALLEN

2 hours ago, DonW said:

I had the best deer season yet! I rattled in 3 bucks this season, one was running around in front of my son. I was hoping he would give him a shot. I actually punched my tag and my son was with me. Next year is his turn! Can't wait until next September!

DonW, thats a great story and a memory to remember forever  done with your son. CONGRATULATIONS Dad on a great season and forever memories. !!

HONOR THE FALLEN

3 hours ago, deadonshot2 said:

Your first will be well earned. Having patience like you did with a deer within 15 yards waiting on the proper shot showed great respect for the animal you are hunting.  Again, my offer stands to scout/set something up for you in the 13,000 acres. 

I appreciate it! 

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Member

NWTF Member

On 2/7/2021 at 2:18 PM, Rusty said:

Well since you mentioned my name I guess I'll start.  :rofl:

It was a great year with lots of time spent in the woods with friends and family.  The highlight of the year was when our daughter and her boyfriend doubled, it was his first deer.  

He passed the bloody hands test.  :rofl:

2020 double deer.jpeg

2020 double .jpeg

I have to ask if he saw the epic of her with the bloody hands from several years back before they started dating seriously.....

I have personally killed more deer then this year and unfortunately my kids had less time or ambition to get out with me as they have become teenagers although I hope this is a short term problem.  Having said that I was able to take out a new hunter and a close friend and guided and recovered his first deer.  I was also able to take both girls out and we got moose sized does (legit a couple of the biggest I've ever seen).  The first for my youngest was a crossbow hunt that lasted all of 20-30 around noon.  My oldest got hers on her youth day gun hunt and completed a run of youth gun day success that goes back 6 years.  There was a very large range of emotions on this hunt but honestly she is a 16 year old girl so I probably should have expected it.  Lastly, I hunted more then I ever have because my great friend and new hunting buddy just started going out.  I actually passed on deer that would have gotten knocked out in years passed.  I settled for a young deer at last light on one of my last muzzy hunts.  It was in the snow at last light and very exciting. At the end of the day, four deer shot, four tracking jobs and all deer recovered while hunting with family each time.

A few other pics as well.  It was a "different" year for sure but memorable as hell for all sorts of reasons.

0B72D4F5-A1CD-40E1-A07D-2279E947C813.jpeg

2CB5D2F8-909E-49DB-8920-FA0167EBC7F1.jpeg

6B60F4EC-92DC-4596-B1C2-53483FF1BDD7.jpeg

7674CBF1-383F-4DFA-94FE-F5A92B302BF9.jpeg

955113FF-5E80-403E-9928-B2BDDC32D3B1.jpeg

08540866-C88A-4B6A-8DAD-CDBE7A372C57.jpeg

A5E2C6C9-340B-4248-9305-D982E061CDB1.jpeg

A38293AF-B010-49E1-946F-CD47FE6B998A.jpeg

F5F4984A-C7AD-4A4C-8B11-E178E6DBF66C.jpeg

49947714-6AEE-4C64-918A-63747FBDBE72.jpeg

I had a decent season considering I missed September  and October because of my knee injury. I shot my second permit bow deer/buck ever with my crossbow. A nice 8 point at 39 yards. I didn't weigh him but, he was a big deer. I shot an eight point with my muzzleloader right before the 6 day season. And then, I was able to connect on this year's target buck on the last day of buck week a nine point that field dressed out at 187 pounds. I also harvested two does for the one property owner. I did manage to hunt my mom's farm in Virginia during the muzzleloader season and saw a bunch of bucks but, I decided to pass on them. Here are some photos. 

20201114_162301.jpg

Resized_20201114_163933(1).jpeg

20201201_162740.jpg

20201201_171041.jpg

20201212_163329.jpg

20201212_180256.jpg

20210119_162524.jpg

20201226_170631.jpg

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

On 2/9/2021 at 4:37 PM, Russ 11 said:

My son and I had a good season . Shot some does and each took two 8 points . His were bigger and he reminds of that every chance he gets . 

DDEC8D83-BB1A-4868-83AA-80A3C0654C71.jpeg

9E6134FD-46F2-4125-88BD-CA0D7D6D29D1.jpeg

0C5B6ACC-7AAD-4F90-B89B-907193F6106F.jpeg

8773B5F0-FC4D-47CF-A538-9126580803C4.jpeg

C4603174-C74A-4A6B-9889-13B65469EC6B.jpeg

0A0F0BE7-1D61-42CF-B790-D481428C3CAF.jpeg

776471B8-3962-44D1-8C0A-ABDF4D8EFA95.jpeg

F98CCAA7-CA9F-47FA-BE4B-A7698424E181.jpeg

3CCD7EBB-8B18-4E42-BD5F-D1E6FD7FD42B.jpeg

379CB8A1-6837-4F65-8690-980F0AA2006D.jpeg

Great season! David only went out twice. Too busy working. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

3 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

Great season! David only went out twice. Too busy working. 

Thanks John and congrats to you on a great season . To bad David didn’t get out more but I know he’s been working his butt off . Hopefully he gets the chance to get out more next season .