IGNORED

Baiting for deer

FeniQuest217

Presently, I don't bait nor do i judge anyone that does. It's a preference, but as the regulations are slightly vague versus the 'word of mouth' - are there areas in the state that you "CANNOT BAIT" - i have a stand in z4 and i was told i cant bait there. I know you can bait in a WMA but where my stand is, its not WMA believe its state public land.

If but probably when they pass the new regs deer baiting will be banned throughout the State.

They already filed the proposed regs in the NJ Register they only need to wait the specified period of time and vote.  

Being that they put in the effort to write the numerous new regs and filed them it's fairly certain they will vote in the amended regs.

The State posted notice of the changes to the regs in their thread here back in October.  

17 minutes ago, FeniQuest217 said:

... i have a stand in z4 and i was told i cant bait there. I know you can bait in a WMA but where my stand is, its not WMA believe its state public land.

I hunt the Delaware Water Gap NRA land in zone 4 ... no baiting there, it is federal land.

Edited by Jim_

9 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

If but probably when they pass the new regs deer baiting will be banned throughout the State.

They already filed the proposed regs in the NJ Register they only need to wait the specified period of time and vote.  

Being that they put in the effort to write the numerous new regs and filed them it's fairly certain they will vote in the amended regs.

The State posted notice of the changes to the regs in their thread here back in October.  

You saw changes to the baiting identified?

1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

You saw changes to the baiting identified?

They are filed in the NJ Register.  If you look here where they give notices there is a link to a page.  On that page there is a link to a pdf of the numerous proposed changes.   They posted the notice here in October.

From what Ive seen filed in the register they filed all of the changes.

Baiting is not being discussed. The proposal is to make it easy for the council to ban baiting in areas that cwd is found only. Trust me the farmers wont let baiting be banned as the sell of deer bait is the only thing keeping some of them afloat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

11 minutes ago, Bowhunter444 said:

Baiting is not being discussed. The proposal is to make it easy for the council to ban baiting in areas that cwd is found only. Trust me the farmers wont let baiting be banned as the sell of deer bait is the only thing keeping some of them afloat.

That could be the case.  It would be hard to notify anyone who is baiting though.  

24 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

At the bottom of this page there is a pdf of the changes to the game code.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/news/2020/gamecode_proposal20.htm

3. The Council is proposing to give the Director, in concurrence with the Council, the authority to amend the section in order to exercise emergency powers so that modification of existing hunting and/or trapping regulations within a disease surveillance area can occur. This will be done in order to attempt to curtail the spread of the disease into surrounding areas, and to monitor the prevalence and geographic range of the disease. This will allow the Council to make a more timely response than going through the rulemaking process, in an effort to assess and contain the disease as much as is possible. Regulations that might be considered for modification include: extension of season dates and/or relaxation of bag limits to allow for greater sampling of diseased animals through hunter/trapper harvests, relaxation of wanton waste regulations to allow hunters to dispose of animals not fit for consumption, the banning of baiting and feeding to prevent uninfected animals from coming into contact with infected animals over bait piles, and, in the case of deer, the elimination of antler point restrictions, which prevent the harvest of younger-aged bucks, in order to allow for a larger buck harvest. Bucks have greater dispersal distances and, therefore, the most potential to spread disease over the landscape. Notification of emergency regulation changes will be made through notice in the New Jersey Register, press releases, the Division of Fish and Wildlife’s (Division’s) website at www.njfishandwildlife.com, and in the Hunting Digest.

and 

4. The Director, in concurrence with the Council, may modify hunting or trapping regulations applicable to species identified as potentially impacted by the disease within the disease surveillance area, including, but not limited to, the relaxation of bag limits, the addition of season dates, the repeal of antler point restrictions, the relaxation of wanton waste regulations, and the ban of baiting and feeding in an attempt to reduce or contain the spread of disease. Notification of emergency regulation changes will be made through notice in the New Jersey Register, press releases, and on the Division’s website at www.njfishandwildlife.com.

Doesn't look like changes to the standard deer hunting regulations at all, just the amendments to allow for emergency usage and within a disease surveillance area if needed.

That could be the case.  It would be hard to notify anyone who is baiting though.  
No it wont the division will change the regulations in what they are calling containment zones. If you are hunting inside the borders of the containment zone you will have to follow the guidelines of the division. As of now the only thing that is proposed to be banned are deer urine scents to prevent CWD.

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

I remember reading the state's CWD response plan that will become active once CWD is found in the state (IMO not a matter of if but when we're going to see CWD here). And I remember reading that they have plans to send out press releases to the media and will use social media to get the word out - at that point, I'm guessing they would announce changes to regs, like baiting, that would take effect for those hunting in the disease containment areas (DCA). I think it will be hard to miss - I would bet they would even send targeted emails out to everyone that purchased a hunting license.

This is a bit off topic but -- read this - it is pretty sobering, but at least there is a plan in place that hopefully will nip it in the bud if its found. But once it is found, it will literally be years if/when we can go back to normal (at least in the zones at or adjacent to where CWD was found) - so you can probably forget about baiting during those years (and we'll probably go back to deer check-in stations too - at least for those hunting in a DCA).

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/cwd_responseplan13.pdf

Legislation and/or emergency regulations may be enacted to implement appropriate disease surveillance and containment measures within the DCA. These can include but are not limited to: expanding deer seasons and increasing bag limits, mandatory deer check‐in at designated NJDFW check stations, the issuance of special permits for the harvest of deer by licensed hunters on areas prescribed by NJDFW, the prohibition of deer rehabilitation, limitations on deer feeding or baiting,  ....

If no additional positive cases are detected for a period of one year then targeted surveillance for CWD will be continued for four additional years in all DMZs adjacent to, and containing the DCA. The DCA will be considered CWD‐free when no new cases have been found for five consecutive years. Sampling will consist of: CWD testing of hunter‐harvested deer, focusing on deer processors, Special Wildlife Management permits  and NJDFW check stations.

17 minutes ago, Bowhunter444 said:

No it wont the division will change the regulations in what they are calling containment zones. If you are hunting inside the borders of the containment zone you will have to follow the guidelines of the division. As of now the only thing that is proposed to be banned are deer urine scents to prevent CWD.

I'm talking about notice.  If you are baiting and they change the regs due to emergency cwd how will you know?  They say...

Notification of emergency regulation changes will be made through notice in the New Jersey Register, press releases, the Division of Fish and Wildlife’s (Division’s) website at www.njfishandwildlife.com, and in the Hunting Digest.

Who here knows about or reads the register?  Press releases where?  The digest?  That's a printed doc. What will they do print a new digest?

The whole thing is stupid.  There are already regs that allow them to do such things.  

If cwd breaks out somewhere what do you do with any deer that you get?  Take it somewhere to get tested?  

7 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

I'm talking about notice.  If you are baiting and they change the regs due to emergency cwd how will you know?  They say...

Notification of emergency regulation changes will be made through notice in the New Jersey Register, press releases, the Division of Fish and Wildlife’s (Division’s) website at www.njfishandwildlife.com, and in the Hunting Digest.

Who here knows about or reads the register?  Press releases where?  The digest?  That's a printed doc. What will they do print a new digest?

The whole thing is stupid.  There are already regs that allow them to do such things.  

If cwd breaks out somewhere what do you do with any deer that you get?  Take it somewhere to get tested?  

They issue updates on their website for digest changes.  They don't republish physical copies.