IGNORED

Baiting for deer

FeniQuest217

If it's even possible to do it doesn't seem like a good idea.  
Who would want to do it?  Kill for the purpose of killing something that they wouldn't want to eat. 
Hunters who bait will move to an area where they can bait. 
They know so little about cwd and testing dead deer takes time.  They do know that the infection can be spread thru body fluids including blood and that it can live in the soil and water for days so having blood all over the place doesn't seem like a good idea.    

It’s not about “killing something that they wouldn’t want to eat” it’s about killing the infected animals to save the healthy ones. It’s an altruistic act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Well, NY was the first and remains the only state to successfully overcome CWD and they did it by killing every deer they could in the affected area. Tell them it doesn’t work....

They killed deer from 2 deer farms not wild deer.  Of the 18 deer killed at the deer farm 4 tested positive.

Then 2 wild deer tested positive.   Since then they haven't had any test positive.

https://northernwoodlands.org/knots_and_bolts/chronic_wasting_disease_reaches_new_york

19 minutes ago, Farmshine said:

It’s not about “killing something that they wouldn’t want to eat” it’s about killing the infected animals to save the healthy ones. It’s an altruistic act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The regs are vague.  They say something about increasing bag limits.  They don't mention does.  These are wild deer not deer fenced in at a farm.  Not a chance that baiters are going to be in an area where they can't bait.  Even less chance that many deer in those areas will be killed by hunters.  

15 hours ago, nickmarch said:

At the bottom of this page there is a pdf of the changes to the game code.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/news/2020/gamecode_proposal20.htm

That PDF is 59 pages, I searched through but did not see the ban on baiting, can you tell me what page it is on, I did how ever see a BAN ON NATURAL DEER LURES MADE FROM urine. Here is the link to the PDF and an extract of the proposal from the PDF on the ban of natural lures made from urine:

https://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/proposals/20201005a.pdf

12. The Council is proposing a ban on the possession and use of natural lures derived from deer urine, deer glandular secretions, or other bodily fluids or tissues from deer due to concerns about the introduction of CWD into New Jersey. Although the concentration of prions needed to be infective is not yet known, there is no “safe” dose of prion; exposure to one prion may be enough to cause infection (Fryer and McLean, 2011, There is no safe dose of prions. PLoS ONE 6(8): e23664. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0023664 ). Therefore, many states have taken the preemptive step of banning natural deer-based and urine lures in the attempt to prevent introduction or to reduce the spread of this lethal disease. Similar to semen, the production and sale of deer urine and natural lures is an unregulated industry, there is no test to assay whether urine or other bodily fluids contain the prions or not, and many out-of-State CWD-free certified herds are found to contain infected animals every year. The possession and use of synthetic lures will remain legal and have proven to be as effective as natural lures. Only synthetic products can be guaranteed to be CWD-free. See N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.22(a)3.

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

5 hours ago, MPSR said:

I switched to

mineral sites... batting sucks..

deer become and stay on natural patterns..

Mineral sites are the same as baiting. They both alter a deers natural movement. 

Deer hunting in Nj has become battle of the bait piles. 

The majority of our woodlots and parcels are too small for 100 percent natural hunting. 

There is and always will be some type of outside influence on natural movement. Neighbors, dogs, cars, atvs, hikers, other hunters etc. 

The state only cares about revenue, not deer management evident by its permit system and liberal bag limits. 

The state will do nothing about baiting unless they absolutely have too. 

Some farmers are making a lot of money off of deer hunting. 

They sell deer bait by day and slaughter deer by night. 

The whole system sucks plain and simple. 

Its every hunter for themselves under the current system. 

Those who learn how to manipulate deer movement the best have a better chance of success than those who do nothing. 

I can tell you I have my property set up to have the greatest influence in my neighborhood. 

Foodplots, baiting ,habitat enhancements, low impact hunting. 

Its all a game and some play it better than others. 

www.liftxrentals.com

22 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

The state only cares about revenue, not deer management evident by its permit system and liberal bag limits. 

The state will do nothing about baiting unless they absolutely have too. 

Some farmers are making a lot of money off of deer hunting. 

They sell deer bait by day and slaughter deer by night. 

The whole system sucks plain and simple. 

This is spot on and I agree 100% it all about money.

HONOR THE FALLEN
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

6 minutes ago, bushden said:

This is spot on and I agree 100% it all about money.

I always thought it wasn't about the money they did it for the cause. Boy was I wrong. They make more money than most teachers Leo's and First responders.

https://www.gamewardenedu.org/new-jersey/#salary

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 hour ago, bushden said:

I searched through but did not see the ban on baiting,

When I read it I breezed thru it.  The baiting issue is something they can do if cwd or any disease breaks out.  They can selectively close defined areas to baiting and do other things.  If you search the pdf for bait you will find it. 

2 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

When I read it I breezed thru it.  The baiting issue is something they can do if cwd or any disease breaks out.  They can selectively close defined areas to baiting and do other things.  If you search the pdf for bait you will find it. 

OK I did see where they CAN implement the ban if CWD is discovered in an area, I thought you meant it was proposed for a ban next season without any reason.

HONOR THE FALLEN

2 minutes ago, bushden said:

OK I did see where they CAN implement the ban if CWD is discovered in an area, I thought you meant it was proposed for a ban next season without any reason.

That's what I thought when I breezed thru it,  It wasn't until the whole section was posted here that I knew it was an emergency thing.

They should get rid of bait before cwd or any other disease shows up.  We had blue tongue down here years ago. It killed off the deer and the coyote population exploded.  They killed off the turkeys too and are moving North.  The deer are having a hard time recovering because of the coyote killing off the fawns.  Rarely do I get fawns on cam.  

Stop baiting and kill off coyote!   

33 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

Stop baiting and kill off coyote!   

I agree but only if we stop ALL BAITING! AND If I never seen another coyote I would be fine with that.

HONOR THE FALLEN