IGNORED

Whats a good pistol for a woman home/self defense?

On 1/22/2020 at 9:25 PM, tcook8296 said:

I got a call from one of my customers that he had an attempted break in while he was sleeping  the other night. He lives in a pretty densely populated area and they smashed out his back window. He never heard the window smash but the alarm went off and our dispatchers called him to verify the alarm. He grabbed his gun and went downstairs and found the window busted out. Apparently the guys (2 of them, neighbors camera picked them up)took off when the alarm triggered. The police were there in 3 minutes but a lot can happen in that amount of time. 

So, Id like to buy my wife a pistol. After seeing this happen in a populated neighborhood, it can happen anywhere especially rural areas. 

Any recommendations and whats the process on purchasing one?

I have a s&w body guard 38 special.  I like it cause it’s small no safety and hammerless.  The Chance for error is much lower.  It’s very small so it fits in the night stand perfectly.  The wife can shoot it cause all she has to do is hold on point and squeeze.  That being said it’s hamerless so the trigger pull is a bit more.  It’s meant for hand to hand defense it’s not really a gun to take to the range and drive tacks at even 10yds.  100% personal defense.  Would be a great carry gun if able to carry in NJ.  Some one can shoot from her/his  purse or bag at the aggressor if need be even.  

Now if if you truly want a good home defense gun just buy a shotgun dosnt have to be fancy can even be used( moss berg, Remington etc..) show her how to pump and where the safety is if she’s unfamiliar. load it with buckshot.  This way you just point in the direction and squeeze.  

if I was being charged by a home invader I like my chances with a 20 gauge pump with buck shot much better then a 9mm or 40 etc....

good luck!

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2020 at 9:44 PM, Trykonkid11 said:

The G45 made by glock is basically a full size gun, it’s a G17 frame with a G19 slide. I have one no doubt it’s a great gun but not for smaller hands. I think you guys are thinking about the G43 or better yet the G43x. The X has a slightly longer mag well and holds 10 + 1. The 43 only holds 6+1. They are all 9mm. Now they also have a G48, same frame as the 43x but longer slide. My wife loves the 43x, shoots it very well. Recoil is manageable and not to much. They also have the G42 in .380, it’s slightly smaller then the G43. That is a perfect pocket/concealable weapon for sure.
Obviously I’m a Glock guy, they aren’t pretty but probably the most reliable auto made. Wheel guns are great but they only have 5 rounds in the J Frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget the G26.  Grip thickness or lack thereof is a personal preference. I prefer a thick grip for handling hot loads. If I could only have one compact it's a G19. Sub compact it's the G26. 

When I bought the only pistol I own, it was with the full intention of my wife being able to operate it and safely handle it.  For that reason I went with a Beretta 92FS.  9mm semi auto with a SAFETY.  Not a trigger safety, which should not be called a safety at all, but an actual on/off lever.   Sure it may not be as quick to fire, but the confidence to hold the weapon when training and know it can't fire was a primary factor.  Just went over the basics with her today.   It is now very accessible and loaded until further notice.

The real answer is she would need to go rent multiple guns to find out what works for her.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

On 1/22/2020 at 10:12 PM, tcook8296 said:

What is the process for getting the pistol permit? Is there a waiting period?

Neither one of us has owned a pistol before. 

Can you legally shoot it on your own property or must you go to a range? If you have to transport it to a range or when bringing it home is it different than a long gun used for hunting?

You are looking at months to get a pistol, especially now.  Start the process regardless of the end choice.  You will need to go to your local police department for the form;  back check, references and fingerprint (which you may be able to avoid with your NJ security license, but not certain.  Same field).   You can shoot it legally with the proper safe backstop.  I don't know about minimums from other dwellings however, like the DFW has.  If transporting, the pistol should be in the trunk and unloaded, and ammo needs to be in another part of the vehicle and should be in a carrier.  No stops for other tasks when the pistol is in the car;  dinner, shopping.  Straight to and from your shooting destination.

Edited by Bigsquirrel
info