IGNORED

Whats a good pistol for a woman home/self defense?

32 minutes ago, TouchofGrey said:

There was a guy had a M/F pair in neighborhood... would walk them without a leash on. They never left his side. Incredible animals in person.

That's the beauty of a working dog or a guardian breed.  I used to do the same with my old rot.  Never a leash unless absolutely necessary.  He was glued to me, knew a million words and commands and was just a brilliant, intuitive animal.  The downside of guardian breeds like corsos or boerboels is that they do maintain a bit of that guardian streak and I've seen or heard about tons of them lashing out against their owners at one point or another.  I don't discriminate against any dog breeds, but dogs like that are not entry level dogs and should always be watched. 

The G45 made by glock is basically a full size gun, it’s a G17 frame with a G19 slide. I have one no doubt it’s a great gun but not for smaller hands. I think you guys are thinking about the G43 or better yet the G43x. The X has a slightly longer mag well and holds 10 + 1. The 43 only holds 6+1. They are all 9mm. Now they also have a G48, same frame as the 43x but longer slide. My wife loves the 43x, shoots it very well. Recoil is manageable and not to much. They also have the G42 in .380, it’s slightly smaller then the G43. That is a perfect pocket/concealable weapon for sure.
Obviously I’m a Glock guy, they aren’t pretty but probably the most reliable auto made. Wheel guns are great but they only have 5 rounds in the J Frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Trykonkid11 said:

The G45 made by glock is basically a full size gun, it’s a G17 frame with a G19 slide. I have one no doubt it’s a great gun but not for smaller hands. I think you guys are thinking about the G43 or better yet the G43x. The X has a slightly longer mag well and holds 10 + 1. The 43 only holds 6+1. They are all 9mm. Now they also have a G48, same frame as the 43x but longer slide. My wife loves the 43x, shoots it very well. Recoil is manageable and not to much. They also have the G42 in .380, it’s slightly smaller then the G43. That is a perfect pocket/concealable weapon for sure.
Obviously I’m a Glock guy, they aren’t pretty but probably the most reliable auto made. Wheel guns are great but they only have 5 rounds in the J Frames.

My point was it's not a glock 22...not a giant gun. Overall scheme, a mid size gun. 43 is much smaller (as you know, tougher to shoot than the 45). 

I’d vote 9mm with good ammo. Sig or glock. Have her handle both in full size and sub compact to get a feel for grip comfort.

Just thought I’d add that if you were asking for yourself I’d say a larger caliber so the bad guy would be more deader.

38 minutes ago, Outandabout90 said:

I'm also looking for the wife, she liked the glock 42 or the  S&W bodyguard. It was easier for her to manipulate the slide on the glock but as stated above I've heard some stories of the 42 jamming. 

In 380 I'm assuming.  All 380s are prone to a han known as a stove pipe..  usually from not having a solid grip on the gun

On 1/22/2020 at 9:53 PM, vdep217 said:

My wife shoots all of my hand guns 40 9mm 380 357 and 38 and shoots them all well.  Advise for a home defense gun for an intermediate shooter stay away from semi auto it's to much to think about in the heat of the moment if somthing goes wrong.  A j frame 38 revolver is simple and fail safe if it dont go off pull the trigger again..  I have a Taurus ultralight 38 special that fits my wife well.  Again if its needed and goes click will your wife be able to drop mag rack the slide reseat mag and release slide,  chances are probly not as most will not be able to.  Again just my opinion but a revolver is the way to go for home defense

Agreed 100 pct. perfectly put. I do know a lot of people are also mentioning a 22 for ease on her and it will calm a beast, however, somebody that is intoxicated or under the influence of whatever crazy alteration of heroin of the day tends to be “superhuman”. Just watch an episode of live pd and you’ll see how these intoxicated/high people behave and how desperate they can get for money to get their fix. I’d suggest a j-frame as well in .38. Easy to shoot....I’d much prefer having a dead intruder from her .38 over a pissed-off one from her .22. 

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

On 1/23/2020 at 7:43 AM, BillW0323 said:

I have a Taurus Judge as my home defense gun. It's loaded with Winchester PDX-1 (.410) Defender rounds. My wife shoots it with no issues. I have 2 kids running around so mine is in a BioMetric GunVault sitting on top of my dresser next to my bed. Very easy to program up to (20) different finger prints and once they are programmed it is very easy to open up. 

Love the judge!  Great home defense piece...not sure for a first-time lady shooter but those .410 defense rounds are nasty!

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

22 minutes ago, delvalhunter said:

Agreed 100 pct. perfectly put. I do know a lot of people are also mentioning a 22 for ease on her and it will calm a beast, however, somebody that is intoxicated or under the influence of whatever crazy alteration of heroin of the day tends to be “superhuman”. Just watch an episode of live pd and you’ll see how these intoxicated/high people behave and how desperate they can get for money to get their fix. I’d suggest a j-frame as well in .38. Easy to shoot....I’d much prefer having a dead intruder from her .38 over a pissed-off one from her .22. 

Most of my collection is revolvers.  But what's not pictured I have a smith &wesson 459 9mm a ruger lc 380 a Smith and Wesson sd40 and a beretta 32 .  They all see range time.. if you are looking to buy and not sure what you want I shoot at shore shot usually twice a month if any one wanted to shoot to get a feel

20190807_154634.jpg

Edited by vdep217

6 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Most of my collection is revolvers.  But what's not pictured I have a smith &wesson 459 9mm a ruger lc 380 a Smith and Wesson sd40 and a beretta 32 

20190807_154634.jpg

So I take it that must be your “wait in’ for the bad guys” chair?!  :)