tcook8296

Whats a good pistol for a woman home/self defense?

I got a call from one of my customers that he had an attempted break in while he was sleeping  the other night. He lives in a pretty densely populated area and they smashed out his back window. He never heard the window smash but the alarm went off and our dispatchers called him to verify the alarm. He grabbed his gun and went downstairs and found the window busted out. Apparently the guys (2 of them, neighbors camera picked them up)took off when the alarm triggered. The police were there in 3 minutes but a lot can happen in that amount of time. 

So, Id like to buy my wife a pistol. After seeing this happen in a populated neighborhood, it can happen anywhere especially rural areas. 

Any recommendations and whats the process on purchasing one?

Tom , I’ll bring down my smith , and you can see if she likes it , it’s my conceal carry . Take her to a good shop and let her hold them and see what she likes the best , then from there some places you can rent them and fire them . Find what’s comfortable to her and she can get used to loading / firing / unloading .   

if you’ve got your FID card , from there you (I believe this is the case now) apply for a pistol permit online and get printed , etc . We used to be able to go right down to the station and do it . 

• Like 2

Start her with a 22, don’t think stopping power, think what she can shoot accurate and be comfortable with. Bullet size doesn’t matter, nobody likes being shot by anything

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MGHunter66 said:

Start her with a 22, don’t think stopping power, think what she can shoot accurate and be comfortable with. Bullet size doesn’t matter, nobody likes being shot by anything

She has her own 22 rifle and we have an AR15 that she is experienced at shooting. I figure a pistol is easier to keep closer than a rifle thats stored in a case or safe. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

This , I was just about to edit my original post . I’m not sure what her experience is with pistols , so start out there.  The only thing I will say is , out here , anyone who comes all the way out ... is up to no good . They’ve already made the decision to do no good . While not thinking stopping power , to get used to Firearms is a great idea ... at some point you need to think it . Would I want to get shot with a .22 ? Hell no .... but I’m not up to no good , or on drugs , or crazy (the last one can be debated)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

So, Id like to buy my wife a pistol.

Colt Pocketlite in 380 or 007's Walther PPK in 32.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bad64chevelle said:

This , I was just about to edit my original post . I’m not sure what her experience is with pistols , so start out there.  The only thing I will say is , out here , anyone who comes all the way out ... is up to no good . They’ve already made the decision to do no good . While not thinking stopping power , to get used to Firearms is a great idea ... at some point you need to think it . Would I want to get shot with a .22 ? Hell no .... but I’m not up to no good , or on drugs , or crazy (the last one can be debated)  

I agree they are up to no good but in the case where someone is rattled(wife) due to stress of the situation recoil in nervous hands can cause misses or worse yet fumbling of the gun. Multiple hits from a little 22 will calm any beast. A 25 auto is another good choice

Edited by MGHunter66

Strongly recommend a glock model 45....which is a midsize 9 mm. Reasonably priced, easy to shoot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My wife shoots all of my hand guns 40 9mm 380 357 and 38 and shoots them all well.  Advise for a home defense gun for an intermediate shooter stay away from semi auto it's to much to think about in the heat of the moment if somthing goes wrong.  A j frame 38 revolver is simple and fail safe if it dont go off pull the trigger again..  I have a Taurus ultralight 38 special that fits my wife well.  Again if its needed and goes click will your wife be able to drop mag rack the slide reseat mag and release slide,  chances are probly not as most will not be able to.  Again just my opinion but a revolver is the way to go for home defense

• Like 4

What is the process for getting the pistol permit? Is there a waiting period?

Neither one of us has owned a pistol before. 

Can you legally shoot it on your own property or must you go to a range? If you have to transport it to a range or when bringing it home is it different than a long gun used for hunting?

I got a call from one of my customers that he had an attempted break in while he was sleeping  the other night. He lives in a pretty densely populated area and they smashed out his back window. He never heard the window smash but the alarm went off and our dispatchers called him to verify the alarm. He grabbed his gun and went downstairs and found the window busted out. Apparently the guys (2 of them, neighbors camera picked them up)took off when the alarm triggered. The police were there in 3 minutes but a lot can happen in that amount of time. 
So, Id like to buy my wife a pistol. After seeing this happen in a populated neighborhood, it can happen anywhere especially rural areas. 
Any recommendations and whats the process on purchasing one?

As a woman an experienced shooter, I’d say take her to the range and let her try a few out. Not sure where you live, but Most ranges you can rent handguns. I go to the heritage guild in easton, they have a lottt of rentals.
I have my own pistols in .22, 9mm, and .45 but am a huge fan of 9mm, particularly of glocks. They are simple and effective, and I can get more rounds on target quicker than with my 45.
I use a 9mm Glock for shooting competitions and have two others for home/self defense- a glock17 with a red dot and a Glock 43x that I hope to be able to conceal carry with one day. The 17 is a full size, the 43x is smaller. I love my 43x and chose it over the regular 43 because of how it fit my hand I like the longer grip, and I shot it better at the range when I compared the two. Also, because it holds 10rounds over 5-6 and that is important.
Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Go to local PD, fill out forms, pay fee, and wait for permits to come in.  Once you have permits you can buy the pistol.  Shoot it on your own property.

• Like 2

If there arent any kids in the house screw the pistol use a shotgun.   Flesh wounds and even vital hits from a small cal pistol isn't going to stop an adrenaline charged nut.  Just the sound of a pump being pumped will have them running!

Edited by nickmarch
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1