IGNORED

Best Archery Shop In North Jersey?

5 hours ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Like Hammer said, a “tuned” bow from the shop is just a good start to a tuned bow.  I believe in bareshaft tuning and like my bareshaft flying straight and with my fletched arrows to at least 25 yards, nobody touches my bows!  That being said, when i shop local, i go to garden state bow and reel.  Dino carries good equipment and is well stocked.  If i need something he doesnt have, i order from lancaster archery.  Garden state bow and reel are a good bunch of guys and will set you up right.   

It all depends on how anal you are about your bow. Shop tuned bow will kill deer just as well. Some of you love to tinker with your bows and it must give you confidence, that's great. Some of us just sight it in, practice  and hunt, and that's not a bad neither. Last bow I bought was tuned by strickley A and I hunted with it for 5 years with the same string and no other adjustments but sighting it in. It killed the same way year 5 as in year 1. I still take it our every now and then and it still works.

22 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

It all depends on how anal you are about your bow. Shop tuned bow will kill deer just as well. Some of you love to tinker with your bows and it must give you confidence, that's great. Some of us just sight it in, practice  and hunt, and that's not a bad neither. Last bow I bought was tuned by strickley A and I hunted with it for 5 years with the same string and no other adjustments but sighting it in. It killed the same way year 5 as in year 1. I still take it our every now and then and it still works.

Some truth but not entirely.’just because Tommy or Ray set a bow close .just because of how you draw, set up and break on a shot can totally change the way a bow shoots.

with a broadhead you want that bow tuned as close as possible to YOU.

keeping the nock flying directly behind the head gives maximum penetration  With out loss due to side slap of the arrow.

the other part is if your an hour or two away from a shop and understand how easy it is to do, you can fix the set up before you even would be at the first traffic light.

understanding tuning will make you a better archer.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

12 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Some truth but not entirely.’just because Tommy or Ray set a bow close .just because of how you draw, set up and break on a shot can totally change the way a bow shoots.

with a broadhead you want that bow tuned as close as possible to YOU.

keeping the nock flying directly behind the head gives maximum penetration  With out loss due to side slap of the arrow.

the other part is if your an hour or two away from a shop and understand how easy it is to do, you can fix the set up before you even would be at the first traffic light.

understanding tuning will make you a better archer.

I m sure there is a difference and you are right but I have to be very lucky to never have any problems or it does not make that much difference when killing a deer.  From experience I am thinking if the tune up is good at the shop it will not make much of a difference when hunting deer. Target shooting maybe a different story.

Most guys have no idea what a tuned bow can do for the shooter. A properly tuned bow to the actual Archer will make the bow much more forgiving. Ups the odds for marginal shots and builds confidence in ones ability. 

Nothing worse than when your getting ready to shoot your trophy deer or just a paper Target then to second guess yourself. I bet most guys shoot 20-60 field tips pre season then try to shoot broadheads. Without tuning, the broadheads will start the arrow in the direction it's pointed. So, they fix it with what everyone thinks is the answer,,,,,, mechanicals. I'm sure this will make a few people a tad upset but it's very true. 

Back to having a shop tune someone's bow. This is a great money maker for them. You either purchase a $2k setup and leave it for a day or two to get setup and you pick it up with the tech saying it's perfect. Bullet holes. They may even show you it. Or the old trick of putting the bow on a hook in the ceiling and pulling it down slowly and watch the cams break and they say yep it's good. Then look down the arrow and center it up.  This is what mostly happens to guys at some mediocre shops. God forbid you bring in an older bow that wasn't purchased from them. You pay for a service that doesn't benefit you. Then you go home,excited, and sight in with fieldpionts. Yep it shoots flawless, has a great back wall,whisper quiet,no recoil,yada yada yada. Then the dreaded fixed blade broadheads. Ouch!!! Something is wrong. But what??

Point is,if you don't know what to look for how you know the shop did it right?? Answer, they set the bow up to the tech. As Hammer said. No way I grip a bow like you and the same in reverse. 

Bow presses are expensive but it's a very useful tool. And like mentioned before, there's tons of info,videos and great tuners out there that volunteer the info ( archerytalk.com) Anyone can do it. It's not complicated at all. 

I can't stand when a hunter says,Eh, it's good enough. Just pure lazy.

If your not able or have the resources to tune, the correct way is to go to a tech/shop that puts time aside for you ($$$) and watches you shoot thru paper and make slight adjustments for you. Until you get a bullet. Then you go home and walk back tune. Then step it up a notch and bare shaft. Sounds like a lot but you do go the extra mile with your firearms?? 

LET EM GO SO HE CAN GROW

1 hour ago, Booner said:

I can't stand when a hunter says,Eh, it's good enough. Just pure lazy.

Me either.

All a bow has to do when shooting paper is group. The arrows can hit the target sideways and you can still shoot good scores.

Hunting you want the ABSOLUTE best broadhead flight you can get from your given set up.

You want the arrow to correct its flight as quickly as possible, and stabilize the broadhead for maximum penetration .

An arrow that isn't perfectly tuned will lose significant penetration as the nock end whips around as the shaft enters the animal.

IMO the animals we are chasing deserve that extra time spent to make the harvest as quickly and cleanly as possible.

As you said when guys cant get a fixed blade to shoot , their quick fix is to shoot an expandable.

And while they may hit the area shot at they lose velocity even quicker with an untuned arrow.

amazes me how many guys wont change their site settings or make a minor adjustment to their equipment during the season when they find something isn't right.

it only takes a short time to totally rework a bow and complete the set up process to give a shooter maximum confidence in their equipment 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

4 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

So what is your goal when it come to hunting with a bow? 

My personal goal? Simple. To have 1000% confidence in my weapon at the time. Deliver the most accurate ethical kill shot I'm am able to.

The animals we hunt deserve it.

Edited by Booner

LET EM GO SO HE CAN GROW

Just now, Booner said:

My personal goal? Simple. To have 1000% confidence in my weapon at the time. Deliver the most accurate ethical kill shot I'm am possible to deliver. 

Me too, and for 20 years I hunted with shop tuned bows with great confidence and success. I think it’s great you have this knowledge, you like tinkering with your bow, and you tune it to perfection. I don’t have it, I don’t like it and I never felt my bow wasn’t working properly. What else could I ask for?