IGNORED

18 farms in zones 7/8/10 for deer/turkey/geese

ltnic

1 hour ago, bigwuhead said:

Interesting.  Since I'm familiar with the landowner and most of the farms they'll probably list, I'm going to assume there will be no active depredation permits for these farms?  That they are doing this in place of that?  Will the landowner be setting what type of deer they want killed?  Earn a buck aside, I've got to imagine they are doing this in part to keep the numbers down, so would they have the right to say you could only shoot does, or only a certain number of does?  

It's an interesting concept for sure.  Just a lot of variables in terms of stands and spots being provided vs having to go onto new land and find a spot and set up a stand, how many hunters, where they are and also have to imagine the landowner would have some do's and don'ts about where and what a hunter can and can't do.

Appreciate the great questions and insights here!

I'm not sure what the landowner wants to do regarding depredation permits with the properties, but it's a good point to ask him. With any properties listed on LandTrust, the landowner can dictate what you're allowed to hunt, it's their private property. So if they landowner just wants to let people come out and hunt turkeys, not deer that's up to them or if they just want does, no bucks, that's also up to them. Sportsmen can see this information in the listing and decide if they want to book that property to hunt based on the criteria and rules the landowner may have.

Totally agree that there's a lot of variables and I know we won't be perfect when we launch BUT with great feedback from you guys we're going to work hard to craft the best experience for sportsmen & landowners. 

So get out there and book a couple hunts then let's talk and see how we can improve it :) 

This sounds cool for hunting other then deer it would be great for goose or bird hunting  the farmer could stock birds like a preserve. Maybe bear hunting he could pre bait . Or for people  who don't have  time to hunt all the time or want to hunt different area but don't have a lot of money .  I would love to hunt pig out of state  on the cheap. I will be watching 

2 hours ago, bigwuhead said:

Interesting.  Since I'm familiar with the landowner and most of the farms they'll probably list, I'm going to assume there will be no active depredation permits for these farms?  That they are doing this in place of that?  Will the landowner be setting what type of deer they want killed?  Earn a buck aside, I've got to imagine they are doing this in part to keep the numbers down, so would they have the right to say you could only shoot does, or only a certain number of does?  

It's an interesting concept for sure.  Just a lot of variables in terms of stands and spots being provided vs having to go onto new land and find a spot and set up a stand, how many hunters, where they are and also have to imagine the landowner would have some do's and don'ts about where and what a hunter can and can't do.

The way Nj is structured  with so many small landowners makes it very difficult to manage for mature bucks. Throw in farmers with depredation permits and a will to kill them and it's a wonder there's any left for license buying sportsmen. I've often felt if there was a way to monetize them they might be spared. Not to rain on your parade but you might want to thoroughly vet these farmers before hand. PM me if you have any questions 

without me, my rifle is nothing

53 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

You say it’s landtrust right? Around me landtrust is considered public land. When the landowner signs up for the tax cut of the land they basically give up their right to the public. 

No, that's just the name of his new company.  He is not a land trust in the sense you are thinking of where Green Acres dollars and private monies are used to purchase properties to be held in the public trust by the land trust.  It's just a coincidence with the name.  His company provides a service, but all on private lands and not public or quasi-public lands.

57 minutes ago, Mixbaghunter said:

This sounds cool for hunting other then deer it would be great for goose or bird hunting  the farmer could stock birds like a preserve. Maybe bear hunting he could pre bait . Or for people  who don't have  time to hunt all the time or want to hunt different area but don't have a lot of money .  I would love to hunt pig out of state  on the cheap. I will be watching 

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, there will be upland/predator/waterfowl/hog/big game hunting on properties all over the country. We've got 50k acres (and growing daily) signed up already. 

The current NJ properties have already been talking about putting birds out on the property so it could be a great option for you. Be sure to sign up so you get updates from us.

1 hour ago, ltnic said:

Appreciate the great questions and insights here!

I'm not sure what the landowner wants to do regarding depredation permits with the properties, but it's a good point to ask him. With any properties listed on LandTrust, the landowner can dictate what you're allowed to hunt, it's their private property. So if they landowner just wants to let people come out and hunt turkeys, not deer that's up to them or if they just want does, no bucks, that's also up to them. Sportsmen can see this information in the listing and decide if they want to book that property to hunt based on the criteria and rules the landowner may have.

Totally agree that there's a lot of variables and I know we won't be perfect when we launch BUT with great feedback from you guys we're going to work hard to craft the best experience for sportsmen & landowners. 

So get out there and book a couple hunts then let's talk and see how we can improve it :) 

Gotcha.  Looking forward to seeing what it's about.   People scoffed at AirBnB, but look at it now.  Hopefully this gets some people opportunities they wouldn't otherwise have.  

6 hours ago, ltnic said:

Thanks for the feedback. Is there anything in particular that you don't like about the model? From our perspective, we're helping open up new access to private land for hunting and make it a much simpler process for a hunter to get in the field. But we want to make sure we're listening to folks who are skeptical as well, we don't want to drink our own kool aid!

As for pricing, it is all controlled by the landowner so every property will be different and prices will most likely fluctuate based on time of year and other factors.

Well, since you asked... This entire quote seems problematic to me, since there will be no consistency for those who sign up. It's important for customers to know what they are getting into, so as the business owner, YOU need to set the parameters, and sign up landowners who agree to your business model. If every landowner sets different prices and numbers of hunters allowed, you are bound to be crippled with bad reviews from other hunters (even outfitters who do a good job get blasted by hunters who don't have great success).

Go back to the drawing board, come up with a plan that is more consistent with pricing, hunters per acre, rules for stand use, etc., and get landowners on board with your business plan because right now, you don't have one. What you have a loose connection between hunters looking for land and landowners who, by your own admission, have varying degrees of what they think is a fair price, and fair number of hunters on the land at the same time, and what is bound to be a wide variety of rules for land use. Sounds like a recipe for bad press to me...since you asked. :cool:

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

49 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

No, that's just the name of his new company.  He is not a land trust in the sense you are thinking of where Green Acres dollars and private monies are used to purchase properties to be held in the public trust by the land trust.  It's just a coincidence with the name.  His company provides a service, but all on private lands and not public or quasi-public lands.

I was a little confused too bout the name "Landtrust", as i associated it with "public" owned property. 

A company like Whitetail Properties who specializes in land for hunting is immediately known by name and reputation, thus has built a brand for what they do......so any confusion with a company name will make it difficult to develop a brand. 

1 hour ago, DV1 said:

Well, since you asked... This entire quote seems problematic to me, since there will be no consistency for those who sign up. It's important for customers to know what they are getting into, so as the business owner, YOU need to set the parameters, and sign up landowners who agree to your business model. If every landowner sets different prices and numbers of hunters allowed, you are bound to be crippled with bad reviews from other hunters (even outfitters who do a good job get blasted by hunters who don't have great success).

Go back to the drawing board, come up with a plan that is more consistent with pricing, hunters per acre, rules for stand use, etc., and get landowners on board with your business plan because right now, you don't have one. What you have a loose connection between hunters looking for land and landowners who, by your own admission, have varying degrees of what they think is a fair price, and fair number of hunters on the land at the same time, and what is bound to be a wide variety of rules for land use. Sounds like a recipe for bad press to me...since you asked. :cool:

Appreciate the feedback. The model you're speaking of is more similar to a traditional outfitter who subleases land. We're simply a platform that connects willing seller and buyer. We don't mandate pricing, rules, etc. In that vein, LandTrust is about access, not outcome. Since it's not outfitting/guiding, there is no guarantee of success, simply the guarantee to hunt the private property for the days that you have booked.

Our business is based directly on other consumer marketplace models like Airbnb which is valued around $40B currently. They too do not get into pricing, rules, amenities, etc. 

1 hour ago, Bonefreak said:

I was a little confused too bout the name "Landtrust", as i associated it with "public" owned property. 

A company like Whitetail Properties who specializes in land for hunting is immediately known by name and reputation, thus has built a brand for what they do......so any confusion with a company name will make it difficult to develop a brand. 

Thanks for the feedback guys, we'll take that into consideration!

3 hours ago, ltnic said:

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, there will be upland/predator/waterfowl/hog/big game hunting on properties all over the country. We've got 50k acres (and growing daily) signed up already. 

The current NJ properties have already been talking about putting birds out on the property so it could be a great option for you. Be sure to sign up so you get updates from us.

I sighed up and watching  one more idea would be place to run you dog for the day . During the summer . 

Good luck with the new business venture. It definitely sounds like it could fill a niche for the outdoorsman/woman. As in any new business you will have mixed results and I am sure learn from them. Good luck again. $100 a day is cheap if you compare it to many other things people do. Football game/concert $100+ for a few hours. 

8 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

We had a club and we operated it as a "Zone" system....some of which may be helpful to your system.....

Went like this....

The property was divided into zones......anywhere from 25 to 50 acres each, depending on the huntable area of each zone......

A large map of the property was set up in a kiosk called the "Pin in Station", along w a log book, and thumb tacks with individual hunters names per thumb tack.....

Upon arriving at the pin in Station for a hunt, u instantly can review where others are huntin, check the logbook for prior activity, etc, and select your zone n pin in ur name......1 hunter per zone, so no one will mess u up!  Stand huntin only.....no driving deer!

Upon leaving, u pull ur pin, fill out logbook of how u did, what u saw, etc.  Also serves safety concerns, as someone always knows where u are or where u last hunted.

This system worked extremely well for our club for many years. 

We dis something similar. Each property had a map at the parking area. The map was divided into grid. On arriving you would indicate in the signing book the date and time of arrival and the grid you were hunting, let say G4. On the way you would sign out.