IGNORED

It Isn't My Favorite Fish To Eat........ dinner pic

rocky

I was out fluking on Thursday and caught a bonito on a fluke rig while dropping down. Nice fight and I wanted to finally keep one for the table. I bled it right away and put it on ice. I looked for recipes after I got home and I didn't find one that I like so I decided to play it safe and make fish cakes. 

They look better than they tasted and I would not target them again for the table. Thank goodness we filled the cooler on the way back in with blowfish. :up:

69134997_10215427577468846_5935889521718

68926914_10215417132327724_4985658076544

2 hours ago, rocky said:

I was out fluking on Thursday and caught a bonito on a fluke rig while dropping down. Nice fight and I wanted to finally keep one for the table. I bled it right away and put it on ice. I looked for recipes after I got home and I didn't find one that I like so I decided to play it safe and make fish cakes. 

They look better than they tasted and I would not target them again for the table. Thank goodness we filled the cooler on the way back in with blowfish. :up:

69134997_10215427577468846_5935889521718

68926914_10215417132327724_4985658076544

I like Bonito sashimi.  While they smell very fishy the flavor is sweet and very mild fish flavor,  also lightly searing the out side after soaking in soy n lemon juice and right after searing put in ice cold water to stop from cooking more..  my opinion is as its cooked it breaks down changing the flavor .  If you like sushi you will like bonito as sushi

6 hours ago, mikejd said:

I dont know anyone who keeps them They always toss them back. But your dish looks good.

Mike, there are several types of bonito.  I don't know too much about them but the ones we ate were the ones with the teeth, like the picture in the initial post.  The meat was like tuna but lighter.  Not sure if they tasted so good because we bled em and iced them immediately and ate them same day or what but they were one of the better fish I've eaten.  

3 hours ago, MikeStaten said:

Mike, there are several types of bonito.  I don't know too much about them but the ones we ate were the ones with the teeth, like the picture in the initial post.  The meat was like tuna but lighter.  Not sure if they tasted so good because we bled em and iced them immediately and ate them same day or what but they were one of the better fish I've eaten.  

Thats good to know. I will have to try them. I had some fresh tile tonight. Caught them last week.