IGNORED

What brings you back to when you were young, and why?

LPJR

This can and will be almost anything for anyone.......Something specific that brings you back to when you were a kid again. 

This can be a car, a sound, a smell, an animal, whatever......

Tonight, it was crystal clear for me. After seeing Rusty's thread about the Katydids, I took the dogs out in the back and just sat there. The sound of the katydids cranking brought me back to the following nights when I was perhaps 8 or 10. Lined up on the bank of the Delaware River in the pitch dark, set up for eels in Walpack with my family and Uncles. Uncle Mimi and Uncle Gin specifically. Always had plastic flashlights that held 2 D size batteries and hardly lit up anything, let alone the path getting to the "spot." Thinking back now, I always wondered then why I was sent first in line getting down to the river. Years later I was told by Uncle Mimi, so he had time to run if Bigfoot grabbed me. Oh joy, thanks Uncle Mimi! 

We found sticks to hold the river rods baited with something bloody, perhaps chicken livers??  This or chunk bait from sunnies we would quickly catch and cut up when we got there...Coleman propane lanterns were cranked up as we waited.....small brass bells were attached to the sticks to be used as indicators when the eels hit........I remember the rods would bend quickly but steadily which yelled "EEL" when it happened. 

The stories and thoughts of Bigfoot that was "possibly watching us from the mountain behind us" always were there. I still tell these to my kids, lmao!  :rofl::rofl:

image.thumb.png.b7edc2218a8b222b9d146dd2f5a601f8.png

Post up something that brings you back and why......

Edited by LPJR

Sounds funny but a slice of watermelon always brings me back. It was my favorite fruit as a kid and we always had it at summer parties or when family or friends came by. I also remember my dad bringing them home after work and cutting it up and I would always try and cut a piece out of the center where it was the sweetest. 

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

34 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

Sounds funny but a slice of watermelon always brings me back. It was my favorite fruit as a kid and we always had it at summer parties or when family or friends came by. I also remember my dad bringing them home after work and cutting it up and I would always try and cut a piece out of the center where it was the sweetest. 

https://www.google.com

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

7 hours ago, 3Blade said:

That always brings back the memory of gathering during the summer at my grandparents with my cousins.  Being 5 or 6, sitting on the front steps with a big slice and spitting the seeds out onto the lawn.  No other time, just that one time.

Whenever I use something that used to be my fathers, I think back to him using it.

12 hours ago, Rusty said:

The Sussex Farm and Horse Show.  :up:

We would get dropped off there with our cow and a bag off food and we would spend the week.  We slept with the cows in the cow tent.  

That is great! My girls slept in one of the barns overnight when they were in 4H, as well as Jr. I am sure the Farm and Horse show is much different now than it was then Rusty!