IGNORED

Permanent elevated blind

Swamp_Yankee

This is my first year hunting my property, which is a swampy area on the edge of a field.  Right now I'm hunting out of a climber so that I can change it up and try a few different spots.  Once I find the best spot based on travel patterns, winds, etc...I want to put in some kind of permanent stand.  The thread about boots and gloves got me thinking about some kind of elevated blind since I have the luxury of putting up something permanent.  Obviously putting up a built stand is not rocket science, but putting one up that's going to last requires more than just nailing stuff to a tree.  As it turns out, there is a whole industry built around this stuff as commercially built treehouses (used as camping cabins, vacation houses, etc...) are all the rage these days.  There are special bolt anchors, etc...that will allow the structure to move a bit as the tree grows, and will negate the tendency of the tree to "compartmentalize" or sacrifice parts of itself that become damaged as a result of a bunch of nails or screws being pounded into it.  They're pretty pricey though.  Another cheaper method is to put eyebolts into the tree and suspending the floor of whatever you're building from laminated steel cable.  Might make for an interesting spring project.  Essentially I'm looking to build a small "treehouse" that will serve as a blind/way to keep heat in and wind off that would be just big enough for me and one of my kids.  I'll also be able to clearly see it from our pond, so I'd like it to not look like crap either.  Post some pictures (inside and out) of your elevated blinds whether they're in trees or not.  I could use some ideas.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

My suggestion if you want it elevated is not to mess around with trees, but buy a platform and buy a blind separately.  LiveToHunt has a good pre-built cedar sided blind that goes together easily, will last a long time (especially elevated off the ground and surrounding moisture) and won't break the bank.  Some of the blinds out there will run you an easy $3K plus and often well over $4K.  I can't justify that.  But for $1K, you can have a nice, elevated blind that will look good and hunt well for you for years to come.  

Size is 6'x6'x6' and floor is 8' high

2x3s used to frame walls

Pressure treated 2x6 floor frame with 24" on center joists

3/4 osb floor

3/8 osb walls

12x72 front flip up window

2- 11x15 lexan flip down windows

24x48 door with 3pt shed as handle

Set on 8' 4x4s using elevator brackets

24" earth augers on 2 sides with steel cable in  a V front to rear

Used 4" lags to hold legs to bracket, 3" coated screws, 1 5/8" coated screws 

Inside roof is done in flex seal, outside is spray bombed. I rushed to put it up so i didnt water seal it, that and the smell. I also have tin for the roof. Mr Buddy on low keeps it toasty. Put it up with 1 other person and a lug all. Total cost $600 and that includes renting a trailer for a day

20181020_163447.jpg

20181026_174729.jpg

20181101_180731.jpg

20181104_061138.jpg

20181031_164059.jpg

It all depends on how much you want to spend . Forget about building it in the trees .  Build a base platform like Mattg did . Then you could build a blind yourself , you could put a hub blind on top and secure it down . You could spend big buck and get a Muddy or Redneck blind with all the bells and whistles.  Actually Redneck makes a nice soft sided blind that you slide over a metal frame . My buddy got one for Ohio from a member here and loves it . I'll see if I can get a pic for you.

34 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

It all depends on how much you want to spend . Forget about building it in the trees .  Build a base platform like Mattg did . Then you could build a blind yourself , you could put a hub blind on top and secure it down . You could spend big buck and get a Muddy or Redneck blind with all the bells and whistles.  Actually Redneck makes a nice soft sided blind that you slide over a metal frame . My buddy got one for Ohio from a member here and loves it . I'll see if I can get a pic for you.

Redneck and Muddy make very nice soft side blinds. Close to $500 new

I was just talking to a guy today that assembles refrigeration units using big insulated panels. Im trying to buy some used panels from him to construct the walls and roof. 

Im also looking at the muddy blind just having a hard time justifying forking out a couple grand 

www.liftxrentals.com

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Just hunt out of your bathroom window if you want to sit in a house.;)   I have property and use two man ladder stands with skirts around them.   When it rains I stay home or put up one of those portable unbrellas.

Na I like hunting out of my box blind ;)

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈