IGNORED

slug gun success! first deer with a shotgun!

mazzgolf

Thanks all. It is exciting when it all works out.

Never take for granted your time in the woods - I wish I started doing this years ago.

42 minutes ago, County Hunter said:

what brand of slug?

The gun is an 870. The Nikon scope and rifled barrel I bought from someone during NJH days about 4 years ago. The slug was a Remington Copper Solid, 12ga, which was ALSO something I bought from a forum member about a year or two ago. :D I have one left. Funny thing is, my dad just ran to our local mom-n-pop shop only yesterday and bought a couple boxes of Accutips for me. Guess I don't need them now :) At least now I don't have to rush to the range to zero my gun with the Accutips. I'll use them next year. Maybe I'll go out again on my shotgun permit this season, but for now I'm happy with one deer a year. Now I can concentrate on waterfowl and pheasant! :up:

11 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

looks like a 5 pt

Good catch! I actually called it in as a 4-pointer because that 5th  point is really small - I don't think it's an inch long. I wasn't sure if it counted; I thought they have to be 3 inches or longer to count.

15 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

The gun is an 870. The Nikon scope and rifled barrel I bought from someone during NJH days about 4 years ago. The slug was a Remington Copper Solid, 12ga, which was ALSO something I bought from a forum member about a year or two ago. :D I have one left. Funny thing is, my dad just ran to our local mom-n-pop shop only yesterday and bought a couple boxes of Accutips for me. Guess I don't need them now :) At least now I don't have to rush to the range to zero my gun with the Accutips.

That's the same thing I shoot.  I've also shot Accutips and the group was not much different.