IGNORED

Out of state land price observations...

JHbowhunter

"my mind always goes to Montana."

I drive a Semi truck round and round this country.. occasionally i'll get stuck somewhere out in Bum "F" Egypt and i'll jump on the internet and do some pricing on large tracks of land for sale in various states.. Like the OP, I wouldn't buy ANYTHING that didn't give me full and unadulterated rights to my property.. This may be hard to do in a lot of states out west. 

Land prices aside, In my three years of travel I have come to the conclusion Montana is the place for big game hunting.. Herds and herds of Prong horn .. Moose, Elk, white tails and mule deer are easily seen from the HWY.. and in Big Numbers.. Haven't seen any wild Tatonka there as of yet though. 

Suggestion.. IMO owning your own HUGE track of land just for hunting is a losing proposition. A waste of money UNLESS you have money to waste.. Why limit yourself to a few dozen or a couple hundred acres?.. 200 acres in my mind is pretty small when you consider the whole of BRWMA is well over 1000 acres.. And to me that is small.. I think a smarter thing to do would be to buy a modest sized lot that connects to  larger Public owned lands.. Like a HUGE state park or National Forest...The larger the better.. Though most here might say "F" that after putting up with another season full of jack a$$es on mtheir favorite WMA, Out west is a totally different animal.. Here you might have 10 hunters per acre on some public lands on opening day of deer season :rofl: ​.. while out west U may have 1 per 10,000 acres ... Just my 2 cents worth..

I agree if you are targeting Elk or Moose for example.  But 200 acres in Iowa, or Ohio, or other good whitetail states if in the right area, and you are set for life and can manage your local herd "somewhat" and have some confidence that if you don't overpressure your land, bucks can survive and grow and stick around. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Jack I thought about this alot. your allowed one buck in Ohio.

for the price of the taxes on the piece you can hunt an outfitters managed land and not have any of the grief and shoot that 1 buck.

while it would be rewarding to do, 1 bad neighbor and your monety could be quickly wasted.

I really liked the keys, but after seeing how quickly one bad hurricane could put you out of commision quick.

im thinking the Carolinas.

The money I save on taxes there would pay for  a few hunts every year.

good coastline fishing. and moderate weather

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Dan I still am considering coastal carolinas  - and have my retirement revolve around fishing and seascapes but then take trips to hunt out of state...    I did like what I saw in Maryland today, certainly seems possible to own quality whitetail land on Easterns shore and keep a nice center console on a trailer to fish the cheasapeake and further out...  Hell owning 200 acres of prime whitetail land in SC is very doable and be less than hour from coast and less than 30 minutes from the Santee-Cooper reservoir system which is a world class striped bass fishering as well as giant catfish, largemouths, crappie etc. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Jack I thought about this alot. your allowed one buck in Ohio.

for the price of the taxes on the piece you can hunt an outfitters managed land and not have any of the grief and shoot that 1 buck.

while it would be rewarding to do, 1 bad neighbor and your monety could be quickly wasted.

I really liked the keys, but after seeing how quickly one bad hurricane could put you out of commision quick.

im thinking the Carolinas.

The money I save on taxes there would pay for  a few hunts every year.

good coastline fishing. and moderate weather

Thinking the same. It would be nice to stay, but this state chases you away. 

I will be looking for property in Pittsburg, NH tomorrow. The town is 234 square miles of forest. Has three lakes, and is the headwaters to the Connecticut River. ME and VT are a quick drive away. Vastly more freedoms than NJ. Anyone who says the state is going liberal hasn’t spent any time here (what liberal state goes constitutional carry?). No income tax, no sales tax.

Here’s 140 acres for $265K.

47C323C1-4826-4DF4-8B03-06F513D60DA2.png

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I'm surprised you say MD is affordable.  If you're talking eastern shore (which IMHO is really good whitetail hunting), the prices I have seen are insane.  But I've mostly been looking for leases.  I grew up in MD.  It is NJ junior.  High taxes, lots of regulation but less anti-hunting.  I love hunting the eastern shore.  

I've hunted SC and it's not great for whitetail...but if you had enough land, you could manage it and grow some good bucks.  

Edited by dlist777

I've been looking in  Wayne County Pa. North of Honesdale. Really like the area and the people. I've starting to come to the conclusion that only properties that people don't want are up for sale at decent prices. Land and houses are expensive there too. I keep coming back to my house and land here in Sussex County and I'm starting to appreciate them more and more.

Trying  to find about 10 to 15 acres bordering state land in my Pa. target area is tough. My land borders Stokes on 3 sides, and the Appalachian trail just above me with no neighbors to speak of. Taxes in Pa. would be about 50% less, and the people there are just lots friendlier. I hate this State though.!!

My parents retired to Honesdale on 20 acres, about 20 mins north of downtown. Been there 10 years now. They love it. Only downside was it took the fire department over an hour to get to the house when it caught fire and when they did nothing could really be done, burnt to the ground.

My parents retired to Honesdale on 20 acres, about 20 mins north of downtown. Been there 10 years now. They love it. Only downside was it took the fire department over an hour to get to the house when it caught fire and when they did nothing could really be done, burnt to the ground.

20 minutes north of Honesdale is really in the sticks. 

I will be looking for property in Pittsburg, NH tomorrow. The town is 234 square miles of forest. Has three lakes, and is the headwaters to the Connecticut River. ME and VT are a quick drive away. Vastly more freedoms than NJ. Anyone who says the state is going liberal hasn’t spent any time here (what liberal state goes constitutional carry?). No income tax, no sales tax.

How long of a drive is that from here? 

I have 51 ares in Warner, NH -- The southern end of Lake sunapee is 10 minutes down the road --  Bought it 5 years ago -- paid $110,000

51 acres is 5 minutes from local shopping, dunking donuts, market basket, multiple gas stations, Mcdonalds -- Point is it's far from desolate -- less than 30 minutes to concord

51 acres, no house or structure so it's in the "current use" property tax program -- I just got the bill for the 2nd half of the year -- $42.90  -- no I did not misplace the decimal point

Total tax property tax is $82.91 per year --  Lots of deer sign,Moose, bear, turkeys, coyote, mink --  I've never hunted it, didn't buy it for that

It's a 5 hour drive from here,  I don't get there but 2 times a year lately, wish I could do more but with $12,000 plus in property taxes here I need to go to work

If we get more silly gun laws here in NJ, Making both my wife and I instant felons, we'll be packing up a lot sooner than we thought and heading north... 

Edited by Heavyopp

I haven't researched it yet, but a friend of mine tells me there's a couple counties in southern WV that have always been bow only. I like the sound of that. He has a friend down there that's always sending him pics of giant whitetails. MT is where I'd really like to end up, but at the rate things are progressing I feel like I'm never going to get out, ( I need an emoji that's pulling it's hair out, lol)

without me, my rifle is nothing