IGNORED

Out of state land price observations...

JHbowhunter

You can easily buy several hundred acres in WV for that, check it out.

I know Deliverance was not filmed there (Georgia), but for some reason WV reminds me of that movie...   And I have a real purty mouth...  So I don't think I am going to retire there.   That movie affected me, and possibly got me into bowhunting?

Deliverance2.jpg.png

Deliverance1.jpg

deliverance4.png.jpg

deliverance3.png

deliverance5.jpg

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

How long of a drive is that from here? 

I am on First Connecticut Lake, and door-to-door from Haskell it’s 7 hours. Take 91 straight up Vermont and cut over at the 45th parallel. I have 234-ish square miles of mountains, forests, lakes, and logging roads to hunt.

I was under the impression that New Hampshire's property taxes are the 2nd highest in the country, right behind NJ. Beautiful state though!

My parent’s house in Nashua is worth more than mine in Haskell, and they pay less taxes. I’m paying just over $8K/year, and my parents might be paying $4K.

Here is a photo of a deer one guy took in Pittsburg, NH. I am the furry thing in the middle of the photo. His deer was 198# dressed. Another deer taken this season up there was 214#, the biggest the lady at the check-in saw was 217#. The guy who got the 198# got a doe during bow season that was 140# dressed.

D4AB7D7C-C244-46DC-9732-63E749C73530.jpeg

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I was under the impression that New Hampshire's property taxes are the 2nd highest in the country, right behind NJ. Beautiful state though!

That would be news to me --  Find me a place in NJ, Anywhere, any size, thats $83 per year in property taxes

With a decent house I expect $4000 per -- still 1/3rd what I pay here for a 2 bedroom ranch -- and don't forget the "and climbing"  clause

My taxes in NH actually went down over the 5 years I've owned it -- when the real estate values went down the property taxes followed -- ever see that in Jersey without begging? 

Jack what about Indiana? I never looked into any land but I do see more and more good bucks from there.

Indiana is definitely worth looked by into. My aunt and uncle moved there about 20 years ago and we go visit at least once a year. We love it out there but it doesn’t work for me work wise.

Coast? Thats why airplanes were invented. I priced farms in Iowa at around 2000 an acre. Unless you are a resident , you will only get to bowhunt it around every 3 years. Ive pretty much threw in the towel on Nj. This is my 3rd hunt to Illinois this year and hoping for 1 more after this for late season

just wondring whats the coast come out to to go out there and hunt ) 1 week im guessing you guys go) 

If we ever bail out it will be West.  To an area that I am living a short drive from Elk, Mule deer, and Antelope country.  Places like this are a days drive away from awesome whitetails as well. 

Thinkig of the same thing.. 

Moving back to NJ from overseas in  Jan . but might not stay there to long , 

I own in illinois and it was hands down the best money I ever spent. Best advice I can offer is do your research and buy in a proven big buck neighborhood with good neighbors, with a mix of tillable and timber with at least a small stream running thru the property...don’t settle for a mediocre areas, go right to the top trophy areas. $2800 to $4000 an acre. The more acres the better, but not absolutely necessary. I know a NJ guy that owns 40acres of pretty much scrub land ( big buck paradise)next door to my Illinois house that shoots one or two 140” or bigger Deer every year. He comes out for a week of bow and 3 days of gun, no scouting or food plots or anything in the summer months. He just climbs a tree and the deer are already there... it’s the neighborhood he hunts! Just make sure you buy in a great neighborhood, not two miles up the road, because Deer numbers and Deer quality are very farm specific. Do it! Don’t wait! It will be the best thing you ever did.

I would urge anyone who dreams about owning their own piece of heaven to go for it. I never ever heard anyone sorry that they invested in good land. I know many that regretted not buying. I would recommend a variety of habitat, water, seclusion, good neighborhood, and income production. CPR and crop rental, timber cutting can help fund your endeavor.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

I've been looking in  Wayne County Pa. North of Honesdale. Really like the area and the people.

Friend of mine retired and moved up there. Got a nice big house, nearly 100 acres with a few ponds full of fish, very reasonable price. He loves it. Great fresh water fishing, pretty good deer hunting too. The only drawback for me when visiting was the food. I like to be able to find good dining. Few years ago a guy from NYC moved to Calicoon and opened a pretty darn good Italian joint so at least they have something near him now but choices are limited. If all you want to do is hunt and fish it's the place to go. If you like other things, there aren't many of them. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.