IGNORED

Dogs and bird hunting.

SxS ~ Good idea for a topic. Thanks

I brought Riley home on July 26, 2015, she was just 1 year old.  The guy who had her from a pup, had her trained for 2 months but worked away from home 2 weeks at a time, his wife worked and so Riley spent most of her 1st year in a crate being let out mornings and evenings and rarely run or exercised and never hunted.  She was a hand full those 1st few weeks until she learned her new routine.  I had setters years ago and they were outside kennel dogs and Riley was to live in with my wife and I.  A GSP is quite different than a setter to say the least.  She has the run of the house, no more crate and is run mornings and evenings and out during the day around the yard. We hunted our 1st season together that Fall and it was a learning experience for the both of us.  Last year was much better. She holds steady on point and retrieves.  I was fortunate to meet a few guys from this forum who went out with us and offered some very good training tips and advice. My other dogs were hunting pals but Riley is my constant companion afield or around the house. I am so blessed we found each other. She is 3 years old and this will be our 3rd year hunting which I am really looking forward to.

P1280054.jpg

PC260004.jpg

Beats living in a crate !

IMG_20170604_081815075~2.jpg

A hunting machine afield and gentle when not.  Sharing her lunch with my Nephew.

IMG_4512.jpg

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

I brought Riley home on July 26, 2015, she was just 1 year old.  The guy who had her from a pup, had her trained for 2 months but worked away from home 2 weeks at a time, his wife worked and so Riley spent most of her 1st year in a crate being let out mornings and evenings and rarely run or exercised and never hunted.  She was a hand full those 1st few weeks until she learned her new routine.  I had setters years ago and they were outside kennel dogs and Riley was to live in with my wife and I.  A GSP is quite different than a setter to say the least.  She has the run of the house, no more crate and is run mornings and evenings and out during the day around the yard. We hunted our 1st season together that Fall and it was a learning experience for the both of us.  Last year was much better. She holds steady on point and retrieves.  I was fortunate to meet a few guys from this forum who went out with us and offered some very good training tips and advice. My other dogs were hunting pals but Riley is my constant companion afield or around the house. I am so blessed we found each other. She is 3 years old and this will be our 3rd year hunting which I am really looking forward to.

attachicon.gifP1280054.jpg

attachicon.gifPC260004.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170604_081815075~2.jpg

A hunting machine afield and gentle when not.  Sharing her lunch with my Nephew.

attachicon.gifIMG_4512.jpg

thats how it should be!! I love that pillow on the couch!!! There's nothing like making that "Connection", where they just Have to be your shadow, there is nothing that compares.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

I cant say enough about my Boykin Briar. Just over a year old now and i was amazed at how well she did during her first season. She is an awesome huntet, great family dog and just loves to play and have fun. But one of my fondest memories is of a mutt named buddy. You see my grandfathers brother was a poor imigrant that didnt have the money to buy a dog, he had to rely on what was given to him. Buddy was a little mutt that was mainly a terrier beagle mix. Ray put alot of time in with buddy and this dog became probably one of the best small game dogs i ever hunted with. Hunting the cornfields and hedgerows in New Village buddy would run ahead of a hedgerow, look back to see where we were than kick all the game straight back to you. One thing i never saw a dog do was while pheasant hunting the corn if buddy was ahead and saw a pheasant he would sit still until we caught up with him then he would pounce and flush the bird. So when you saw buddy sitting in the cut corn you knew there was a bird close. The last year buddy hunted he had trouble crossing ditches and drainages and would get tired. When he was tired he would walk over to me, i would put him in the game bag of my vest with his little head sticking out until he was rested and ready to hunt some more. Unfortunately i dont have any pictures of buddy, only memories. But i will share a pic of Briar who i am so proud of.IMG_0673.JPG

AWM

attachicon.gifP1280054.jpg

attachicon.gifPC260004.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170604_081815075~2.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4512.jpg

REALLY LIKE THE PILLOW!!!  :up:

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

I am not a bird hunter although I did chase some quail, pheasant and grouse on several occasions. The most enjoyable part of these hunts was watching the dogs work. It is truly amazing and I have no clue how you make a dog do that.  

I grew up with an adopted GSP that looked a lot like Riley the GSP owned by RPK0620. Somebody dropped her off pregnant... I convinced my parents to take her in, I would train her to hunt. I was about 12 or 13 at the time. She had 9 pups, all mutts. We were able to give away the pups, and so began Heidi's hunting career. She had an unbelievable nose and instincts and desire to hunt. My uncle nicknamed her "zoom-zoom" because she would cover a field and point every bird long before his English Setter was even ready to start seriously hunting. My father and I took her to Wallpack a lot, and our Hyper-Humus sportsman club also stocked birds several times a season. She was great on pheasants, but later discovered she was even better on woodcock. She would point and retrieve extremely well. And to think someone gave up on this dog?

Well there was a reason - she was badly addicted to chasing deer. Nothing else mattered, if she got the scent or god forbid kicked on up and saw it, the hunt, the entire DAY would be lost... That certainly made for some good times... I will never forget the one time we were stocking birds at the club on Thanksgiving morning and made mistake of leaving her in my Dad's International Scout.... She got so excited she sh#t all over the back of the vehicle... We opened the door and nearly vomited... She hunted until about age 10 or 11, and then the hip dysplasia took over. She actually lived to about age 14 we think (not sure of her birth date).

Now I have this crazy good yellow lab who was bred for ducks, but is awesome on pheasants. Mako is a hunting machine, he just gets better and better each time... He has only done about 10 private club stockings so far but at this point when they put out 50 birds, he accounts for about 35 of them amidst several other labs that don't seem to want to hunt as much... I may break down and get my pheasant stamp for the first time in 30 years this season...

As you can see by Mako's puppy picture, he had pure devil in his eyes....  Always up to no good, he could grab the end of a roll of TP and make it stream throughout the house in no time, and I don't even want to get into what that dog has eaten (and somehow - passed or puked up).  His behavior has gotten a lot better, he just turned 3...

IMG_4938.JPG

IMG_4959.JPG

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….