IGNORED

2017 Game Code proposal - make your voices heard

I'm going to respectively disagree with Devil Horn. It's not a step in the right direction because there will be no real reduction in the doe harvest. They are playing us and trying to calm us down with their semantics. And to NJBowhunter's point, it is an elimination plan, PERIOD!!

Edited by 3 Blade

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

The Code currently allows for a Monday through Friday permit muzzleloader and Wednesday through Friday permit shotgun antlerless only hunting days immediately prior to the six-day firearm season specified in N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.27(a). The Council is proposing to eliminate this five-day season of permit shotgun and permit muzzleloader . antlerless-only hunting in the DMZs in Regulation Sets 7 and 8. Hunters in the DMZs in Regulation Sets 7 and 8 have expressed concern about declining harvests and what they perceive to be a significant drop in the deer population, and also that these firearm days were affecting the deer behavior during the week of the six-day firearm season. Hunters assert that early firearms hunting before the six-day firearm season makes deer warier and more likely to resort to nocturnal behavior, thereby making it very difficult to harvest bucks during the traditional “buck week.” The Council believes that elimination of the five-day portion of these seasons will address any reduction in the deer population without the need to adjust the antlerless bag limit applicable during the remaining seasons. See N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.28(d)3 and 15 and 5.29(d)4 and 14.

Are they considering removing all the permit MZ prior to buck week, or just the antlerless days?   It currently is Monday & Tuesday, buck or doe, then just doe only Wed-Friday prior to buck week.  

You can't shoot them from the couch.

Anyone notice they are adding AHRS reporting of turkeys as an option?? Are they finally going to allow online registration of turkey harvests??

Any wild turkey killed must be tagged immediately with a completed wild turkey transportation tag and registered at a turkey check station, or registered via the AHRS. A completed wild turkey transportation tag allows for transportation of the wild turkey. Personnel at the checking station will issue a "possession tag." Hunters registering their wild turkey via the AHRS will receive a “confirmation number” that can be written on the harvest tag. Any permit holder killing a wild turkey must transport this wild turkey to an authorized checking station or register the
turkey via the AHRS by ....

I'm going to respectively disagree with Devil Horn. It's not a step in the right direction because there will be no real reduction in the doe harvest. They are playing us and trying to calm us down with their semantics. And to NJBowhunter's point, it is an elimination plan, PERIOD!!

Make sure you tell them exactly that! 

Oh, and hey - I'm *so* happy they put an end to all this taking of 10 anterless deer down in some of these zones!  :whatever: 9 does for you now!  :nonono:

Seriously, how many people take 10 does in one season anyway? And to now restricted that very limited number of people to _just_ 9 is going to do nothing. It's just a false limit - essentially its "unlimited" for the vast majority of people since who takes more than 9??? Honestly, does anyone know someone that has taken 10 does in a single season? Unless they are directing this at farmers?? But I thought a farmer depredation permit didn't have limits?

Oh, and hey - I'm *so* happy they put an end to all this taking of 10 anterless deer down in some of these zones!  :whatever: 9 does for you now!  :nonono:

Seriously, how many people take 10 does in one season anyway? And to now restricted that very limited number of people to _just_ 9 is going to do nothing. It's just a false limit - essentially its "unlimited" for the vast majority of people since who takes more than 9??? Honestly, does anyone know someone that has taken 10 does in a single season? Unless they are directing this at farmers?? But I thought a farmer depredation permit didn't have limits?

I know a select few that have taken more than 9 baldies in a single season, but very few.  I totally agree with you and will let the Division know that 9 is not going to do anything to curtail the shrinking number of deer that most of the state has seen the last few years.  Push for further reductions because they will listen to the hunters.  After all, the only reason they are doing anything here with limits is because hunters are complaining about a lack of deer.  Tell them that while 9 is a start, it's nowhere near enough of a limit.  They will listen, even if it takes two more years until they change Game Codes again.

I know a few and this is my biggest beef with hunters helping the hungry program. it gives them a out to go kill everything they see. I think they should make it where you can only donate one deer a year with the exception of farmers with kill tags and if you get a ticket for any reason in the process of taking a deer the co automatically confiscates it to donate.

Edited by rgw

I know a select few that have taken more than 9 baldies in a single season, but very few.  I totally agree with you and will let the Division know that 9 is not going to do anything to curtail the shrinking number of deer that most of the state has seen the last few years.  Push for further reductions because they will listen to the hunters.  After all, the only reason they are doing anything here with limits is because hunters are complaining about a lack of deer.  Tell them that while 9 is a start, it's nowhere near enough of a limit.  They will listen, even if it takes two more years until they change Game Codes again.

I just submitted my comments via that DEP webpage.

Exactly...realistically, how many hunters are shooting more than 5 antlerless x number of seasons or 9 antlerless x number of seasons? This is effectively still nearly unlimited (in respect to not actually limiting practical kill numbers).

It is going to be amazing how all the guys in gun club all have 4 used tags for does. LOL

It was an interesting read

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

The "reduction" in antlerless bag limits is the least funny joke I have ever read. were these changes put out on April 1? What idiot in their right mind went to the game council with a straight face and said, here are my recommendations for antlerless harvest reduction. You now know what the njdfw thinks about the opinions of its major constituency. They think you're dumb as rocks.

Edited by MS22