IGNORED

"concealed carry while bow hunting" bill waiting for governor signature

This is interesting. I didn't even know this was a thing moving in our legislature. I got this notice in an email from NJSFSC:

===

Next was the Concealed Carry While Hunting Bill (S3846 and A5496).  The Senate bill's primary sponsors are Sen. Nicholas Scutari and Sen. Anthony Bucco.  The Assembly bill's primary sponsor is Asm. Joe Danielsen and is co-sponsored by Asm. Kevin Rooney, Asm. Parker Space, Asm. Harold Wirths and Asm. Shanique Speight.

Asm. Danielsen introduced his bill to the Assembly on May 11, 2023, and by the end of the session on December 7, 2023, the bill had passed unanimously.

Sen Scutari and Sen Bucco introduced their bill to the Senate on May 15, 2023; as of this evening (January 8, 2024), it was voted on and passed the Senate.

The concealed carry hunting bill will allow a person with a legally registered handgun and permit to conceal carry a handgun to an archery hunt at the same time.  This bill does not allow long guns to be carried while archery hunting.

The next step ... to become law is a signature from our Governor, Phil Murphy.

5 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

This is interesting. I didn't even know this was a thing moving in our legislature. I got this notice in an email from NJSFSC:

===

Next was the Concealed Carry While Hunting Bill (S3846 and A5496).  The Senate bill's primary sponsors are Sen. Nicholas Scutari and Sen. Anthony Bucco.  The Assembly bill's primary sponsor is Asm. Joe Danielsen and is co-sponsored by Asm. Kevin Rooney, Asm. Parker Space, Asm. Harold Wirths and Asm. Shanique Speight.

Asm. Danielsen introduced his bill to the Assembly on May 11, 2023, and by the end of the session on December 7, 2023, the bill had passed unanimously.

Sen Scutari and Sen Bucco introduced their bill to the Senate on May 15, 2023; as of this evening (January 8, 2024), it was voted on and passed the Senate.

The concealed carry hunting bill will allow a person with a legally registered handgun and permit to conceal carry a handgun to an archery hunt at the same time.  This bill does not allow long guns to be carried while archery hunting.

The next step ... to become law is a signature from our Governor, Phil Murphy.

I would hope Murphy signs it but I would not get my hopes up to high.

Edited by bushden
Spelling

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

King Murphy is anti gun all the way but we can only hope. I always said when bow hunting in West Milford I would have felt much safer with handgun instead of bow walking in at dark thirty and running into s very often.  I also had a coyote try t o steal my deer. I resorted to throwing rocks and sticks and it kept coming back. 

2 minutes ago, Mixbaghunter said:

I love the idea but I see down falls people shooting deer with it ir someone  stealing deer at gun point . With some off the a hole in the woods who know what can happen 

Don't be like the liberals they said the same thing when conceald carry was ruled constitutional.  What you speak of doesn't happen in states your already allowed.  Pa and florida come to mind.  In fact in florida hunting fishing and camping are the only times you are allowed to open carry

The law against carrying a firearm while bow hunting never intended to used against people carrying handguns, it was for over lapping seasons where you could if properly licensed possess both a gun and a bow.

1 minute ago, tuny said:

The law against carrying a firearm while bow hunting never intended to used against people carrying handguns, it was for over lapping seasons where you could if properly licensed possess both a gun and a bow.

What about only carrying ammo legal for the game your hunting?  Just asking I feel like that would be the one we need to adress.

This was in zone 49 near the border with zone 25 and zone 19 - very close to me. This occurred a mere 3 years ago, so don't think it can't ever happen. This is why having a carry option is needed. If the hunter had a sidearm with him, he'd likely still be alive today (at least he'd have had a better chance). And this was less than a mile from one of (if not the) most elite, private golf courses in the world - a playground to the billionaires. You'd think the area would be safe, but we are talking Camden County after all.

56 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

This was in zone 49 near the border with zone 25 and zone 19 - very close to me. This occurred a mere 3 years ago, so don't think it can't ever happen. This is why having a carry option is needed. If the hunter had a sidearm with him, he'd likely still be alive today (at least he'd have had a better chance). And this was less than a mile from one of (if not the) most elite, private golf courses in the world - a playground to the billionaires. You'd think the area would be safe, but we are talking Camden County after all.

I remember this incident. Very sad. Never know what you are guna come across in the woods, at coffee shop, or on the road at O’dark-thirty on the way to your spot….especially w 9 million more non-vetted, illegal border crossers the past 3 yrs. Have a plan,stay alert w head on a swivel, plan for the worst. 

There was a guy at black river wma who killed a rabid coyote with a cross bow bolt by hand years ago after it attacked. Pretty sure he was a Vietnam vet. Badass. You know know what’s going to happen out there.  Even a stupid rabid raccoon could mess someone up. 

9 hours ago, vdep217 said:

What about only carrying ammo legal for the game your hunting?  Just asking I feel like that would be the one we need to adress.

y If it were legal to have both with you, you can claim you're carrying your shotgun for squirrels loaded with 3" #4 shot while bow hunting, but we would all know different even though it would be legal.

9 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Pine Valley?