IGNORED

Interesting perspective on cross bow hunting

Scotty155

Gotta love the endless crossbow threads lol.

I only use a compound because I just love using it. Been an archer for more than 40 years. I have no desire to hunt archery season any other way, but that’s just me. I could give a crap less what other guys use.

Sure, is a compound more difficult to master? Yes. Anyone who would argue otherwise is simply full of it. I have friends who use crossbows because they say they don’t have the time to master shooting consistently with a compound. Fine for me, they can use what makes them happy.

bottom line, we as hunters are a dying breed. I’m just grateful crossbows get a few more guys out in the woods during archery season. I used to be very much against crossbows when it was first discussed to make them legal for anyone. Now I realize that anything that can keep our sport alive for as long as possible is a good thing.

Talking elk - never seems to be much debate with xbows....

Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Washington allow crossbows during gun season, and during archery for handicapped.   

Not a legal archery weapon in Montana. 

Wyoming does seem to allow them for elk during archery season.  But we never hear much about it?

Canada?  Seems to be only for handicapped during archery-only seasons. 

I only looked at Maine for Moose and crossbows - it's not legal. 

Seems to me - it's probably a matter of time before all big game allows the XBOW to be used during general archery season, but for now it's mainly whitetail deer across North America.    

I mean - it's clearly a more powerful weapon, so wouldn't it stand to reason it is a far superior weapon for all archery big game?  Elk, Moose, Bison, Bighorn Sheep, Brown bear, etc????

It's clearly popular in Africa on big game, but North America is still showing some resistance on the big game that is "NOT" the whitetail deer.   Why is that?

I think it's not a matter of "if" but "when" for other NA big game...

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

its such a Joke!!!! a hunter picks up a crossbow and they become  bad hunters???than why don't all  the compound  hunters all go  back to long or recurve bows??? how about  you hunt your way and i'll hunt mine.its just so sad to see grown peeps crying about what other folks are doing.

2 hours ago, fdsmiles said:

its such a Joke!!!! a hunter picks up a crossbow and they become  bad hunters???than why don't all  the compound  hunters all go  back to long or recurve bows??? how about  you hunt your way and i'll hunt mine.its just so sad to see grown peeps crying about what other folks are doing.

What it comes down to is this. Compound bow users want to feel superior/more manly. "I have to draw the bow to shoot it". WOW, it takes a real man to do that. :rofl:

I bet almost 100% of crossbow users shot a vertical bow of some kind first or most of their lives. So, what's the big deal. 

It's a choice. You choose what makes you the most proficient. Making things "harder" may give you more satisfaction but for some, it leads to unsuccessful results. We try to use whatever is available to us to efficiently harvest game. We use scopes instead of open sights. We use carbon arrows instead of wood. We use saboted bullets instead of rifled slugs. Etc, etc. 

Some people just can't feel good about themselves unless they are knocking other people down. :down:

18 minutes ago, archer36 said:

What it comes down to is this. Compound bow users want to feel superior/more manly. "I have to draw the bow to shoot it". WOW, it takes a real man to do that. :rofl:

You missed the mark badly there. Has zero to do with “feeling manly”. It has to do with making the motion of drawing back the bow without getting busted. That is the sole reason I prefer my vertical over a crossbow. If I was in it to “feel manly”, I’d hunt with a spear.