IGNORED

How to avoid CRAMPS… ???

I've had cramps a lot my whole life.  Mostly legs.  Would get the worst cramp ever in my left ankle and up the calf every night when I was biking.  Then it started also doing it on my right foot.  Didn't matter how much water I drank, power drinks, gatorate, carbs, vitamins, minerals.  The only answer was to stop biking. Sounds like your cramping was from overworked muscles and probably sweating out more water than you took in.  For 3 days I couldn't hold down water during a crohns attack.  Hamstring cramped so bad in my inner thigh I tore it at the groin trying to straighten out my leg. Still not right 8 months later.   Dehydration is a big factor with cramping but it could be any number of things from strain to restricted blood flow to those muscles.  Hydration needs to start days before overworking a muscle. To the point your up peeing a few times at night. Trying to hydrate while exhausting yourself doesn't do much to help.

Good question a lot of good answers!

Wish I would have had a cell phone back in my day, would have saved me a lot of pain. Many times of night post climbing up and down the tree in my Baker I get on the road and Bam like a bat out of hell feels like I got a knife stabbed in my thigh pull over on the highway get out of the truck and take 5 or 10 minutes to walk it off today with cell phone so I would have had troopers with the blue lights pull up behind me from cell phone calls suspicious person Mile marker....lol

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

There’s some really good powder drink mixes out there. One I’ve been using for a while is Ultima that a crazy health nut turned me onto. I like the orange and lemonade, the lemonade actually tastes like real lemonade without all the sugar! You can mix different flavors together, orange and blue raspberry is a great combo. Zero sugar and calories, loaded with vitamins, minerals and electrolytes. It tastes amazing and somehow has a sweetness to it! Just bought another brand that hasn’t arrived yet that’s little cheaper as it is kinda pricey. Dr Bergs Electrolyte Powder. I’d recommended getting a sample pack that you pour into a bottle of water to find out what flavors you like. 

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

Sadly, Gatorade has changed their formula and they are nothing more than sugar water at this point.  Powerade is supposed to be good from what I've heard.  

I don’t know how they changed and what is missing now but it was always loaded with sugar!!! No god for any reason there are much better alternatives 

Gatorade came out with a product similar to pedialyte*,  it is lower sugar, using stevia sweetener.   

I sometimes use a product called "calm" made by natural vitality, it is a powdered magnesium supplement mixed with water to make a drink.

None of the above seems to help me right away with cramping or dehydration headache.   I am told that most people are magnesium deficient. 

Edited by tick trawler
*product is called gatorlyte