IGNORED

Have given up thoughts of moving South, NJ is not so bad.

26 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

What happens if you don't like your family? 

OH NO !

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

I used to be very adamant about moving out of NJ. The family will be the only thing holding me back. I don’t think I can leave my family though. It has grown way smaller over the years, but I don’t think I could leave my brothers and my mother. We’ve discussed as a family all moving together. That would probably be the only way I’d truly do it, as life moves on and I get closer to making that decision, I think more and more of the reality of the dream. 

3 hours ago, JD48 said:

Know a lot of people who left the state for (Florida, Tenn., N.C.) some were happy, some moved back

I think they call them "halfbacks," they move to FL from NY/NJ, can't take the heat and move halfway back to NC. I may have the name wrong, it's something like that.

3 hours ago, bushden said:

Since I retired in Dec 2010 I have often thought about moving south (ALABAMA)  where it is warmer and still good deer hunting there not to mention I have family there, however as of late I have no regrets in staying, the weather in NJ has changed a lot over the last 12 years and winters are a lot warmer than ever here .  I only have one reason why I would like to move south  and thats Gun control and a different mind set in Alabama about our gun rights, I have a lot of reasons for staying here, 4 Sons in NJ 5 grand children, warmer weather the last few  years and NOW WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF GUN LAWS starting to go our way I think staying until it time for my last patrol.  I hope our law makers see the light and our 2nd amendment rights are enforced fully here in NJ and I honestly thing we are going to see that happen in the near future.

JUST MY THOUGHTS on a rainy boring warm morning in NJ.

Just buy some property in a state you like.

Yeah, think real hard about leaving your kids and grandkids.  I don't think I could do it, I get along great with my daughter and helping her with her kids will give me a reason to get up in the morning.  The older I get (I'm 59 now), the more important family becomes to me, don't know about you.  I would love to be an important cog in her life, babysitting her kids, taking them to the doctor, just helping out in any way I can.

30 minutes ago, njdoxie said:

Yeah, think real hard about leaving your kids and grandkids.  I don't think I could do it, I get along great with my daughter and helping her with her kids will give me a reason to get up in the morning.  The older I get (I'm 59 now), the more important family becomes to me, don't know about you.  I would love to be an important cog in her life, babysitting her kids, taking them to the doctor, just helping out in any way I can.

My parents just moved to Florida and I have a great relationship with them.  We get there or them here once a month or so.  It's a 3 hour flight and less than a 100 bucks.  We kept clothes n such there so we just fly with a back pack

16 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

My parents just moved to Florida and I have a great relationship with them.  We get there or them here once a month or so.  It's a 3 hour flight and less than a 100 bucks.  We kept clothes n such there so we just fly with a back pack

Wait till they need your help on a regular basis. My In-laws lived 15 miles from me. We made so many trips back and forth and finally moved them to our town. Try going on Rt 36 toward or away from Sandy Hook on the weekends and see how "easy" it is. Doctor visits. Food shopping. Hitting the wrong button on the remote. You name it. 15 miles isn't close enough. 

18 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Wait till they need your help on a regular basis. My In-laws lived 15 miles from me. We made so many trips back and forth and finally moved them to our town. Try going on Rt 36 toward or away from Sandy Hook on the weekends and see how "easy" it is. Doctor visits. Food shopping. Hitting the wrong button on the remote. You name it. 15 miles isn't close enough. 

I got a good 15 years before I have to worry about that.  Mom's 58 dad is 65 and still picks up a 350 engine Block and walks it where u want it.  Can still change a Trans with no jack.  They deserve to live how they want we will adapt when and if the time comes

2 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I got a good 15 years before I have to worry about that.  Mom's 58 dad is 65 and still picks up a 350 engine Block and walks it where u want it.  Can still change a Trans with no jack.  They deserve to live how they want we will adapt when and if the time comes

Hope you are right! 

I stood here in NJ for no other reason than my Family , my mom and dad are still here and they didn’t leave me so I felt they deserve same in return . My in- laws are also in NY but truth be told if we see them twice year we’re lucky . If and when the time comes and my sons decide to leave I will follow them as I’ll have no one left  😞 . This topic is kinda sad for me as my mom is currently in bad shape at Deborah in Browns Mills, don’t want to hijack anyone but could use some prayers right now . Thanks Guys 😞

Edited by Nanuk

45 minutes ago, Nanuk said:

I stood here in NJ for no other reason than my Family , my mom and dad are still here and they didn’t leave me so I felt they deserve same in return . My in- laws are also in NY but truth be told if we see them twice year we’re lucky . If and when the time comes and my sons decide to leave I will follow them as I’ll have no one left  😞 . This topic is kinda sad for me as my mom is currently in bad shape at Deborah in Browns Mills, don’t want to hijack anyone but could use some prayers right now . Thanks Guys 😞

Thoughts and prayers sent to mom!!  I’m in TR if u guys need anything!