IGNORED

WMA - PHEASANT- DOG - STRANGER

JD48

Guy i knew for over 20 years (a deer hunter) wanted to try bird hunting, took him out to Colliers Mills, gave him the drill, don't shoot runners, let the bird get high enough up not to shoot the dog you get first shot, etc. dog goes on point, he points gun at dog, i yell get that f-ing gun up, told him that's it, hunt is over, haven't spoken to him since, ( that was 5 years ago) lucky he came in his own truck or i would have left him there

3 minutes ago, electricstart said:

No Like you said JD you just don't know if guy can handle gun especially over your dog. To many inexperienced guys go to public land   

Was dogless a few years ago, hunted with a longtime friend who had 2 Britts., before each hunt he would pull 2 slugs out of his pocket to show me any say, anybody shoots us or the dogs I'm ready, same thing before each hunt, good guy, a little different

Only bought the issue up, because i was on a bird hunters' site and was surprised by the number of guys that were ok with taking a stranger along, maybe want to show off their dog' or be a good guy, i won't take the chance, been asked a few times, say no and keep moving

48 minutes ago, JD48 said:

was surprised by the number of guys that were ok with taking a stranger along

I am surprised, too! But in a good way - because more than once I was invited to hunt with a guy and his dog(s).

If *I* owned a dog, no way. Like everyone says, I have no idea how safe you are, having never met you. I would never invite a stranger to hunt over my dog (if I had one) if I just met you at the parking lot.

But I can remember - 3 or 4 years ago this happened - I was parked by a pheasant field one afternoon getting ready to go out. A guy pulls up next to me, gets out with his two dogs, and all I said was "hello" - I didn't ask to hunt with him. But he immediately offered, "Do you want to hunt with me and the dogs?" Uhh. YEA! Sure! And we had a great time.  Guy had 2 dogs and said he likes to just let the dogs do their thing - he wasn't about the hunting as much, but just wanted to let his dogs work.

I've had that happen a couple times. I'm just as surprised as everyone else, but it does happen.

For the record, anyone ever invites me like that, I immediately tell them I will not shoot any birds on the ground. I think that tends to calm the dog owners down if you upfront show that you are considerate and safe around the dogs and that you don't have to be told not to shoot birds on the ground (seems obvious to me but then again there are some dolts in the world).

3 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I am surprised, too! But in a good way - because more than once I was invited to hunt with a guy and his dog(s).

If *I* owned a dog, no way. Like everyone says, I have no idea how safe you are, having never met you. I would never invite a stranger to hunt over my dog (if I had one) if I just met you at the parking lot.

But I can remember - 3 or 4 years ago this happened - I was parked by a pheasant field one afternoon getting ready to go out. A guy pulls up next to me, gets out with his two dogs, and all I said was "hello" - I didn't ask to hunt with him. But he immediately offered, "Do you want to hunt with me and the dogs?" Uhh. YEA! Sure! And we had a great time.  Guy had 2 dogs and said he likes to just let the dogs do their thing - he wasn't about the hunting as much, but just wanted to let his dogs work.

I've had that happen a couple times. I'm just as surprised as everyone else, but it does happen.

For the record, anyone ever invites me like that, I immediately tell them I will not shoot any birds on the ground. I think that tends to calm the dog owners down if you upfront show that you are considerate and safe around the dogs and that you don't have to be told not to shoot birds on the ground (seems obvious to me but then again there are some dolts in the world).

Glad it worked out for you, some guys might enjoy the company

Never thought about the aspect of a dog getting shot. My dog is gun shy, so she don't hunt with me, but if she did, I would definitely have to think about it.

Serious question guys, do you really shoot runners? I have chased birds all the way across the field to get them to flush, if they don't fly, they don't die. 

Edited by DonW
Spelling

10 minutes ago, DonW said:

Never thought about the aspect of a dog getting shot. My dog is gun shy, so she don't hunt with me, but if she did, I would definitely have to think about it.

Serious question guys, do you really shoot runners? I have chased birds all the way across the field to get them to flush, if they don't fly, they don't die. 

Some guys shoot runners and out of trees

8 minutes ago, DonW said:

do you really shoot runners? I have chased birds all the way across the field to get them to flush, if they don't fly, they don't die. 

This is why I would find it hard to hunt rabbits with dogs. I've never done it - but I don't see how I could have a good time doing that because the whole time I would be afraid that a dog would jump out of the tall grass in front of me chasing a rabbit just as I was pulling the trigger. Maybe it isn't as bad as I think it would be, but I would be paranoid the whole time hunting rabbits with dogs.

At least with upland birds, you know they will get up in the air if you push them enough. Rabbits? You are always shooting  at the ground - and I just don't see how that is safe with dogs chasing them at the same time. I'm sure it isn't as bad as I think it would be but... I can't imagine how many dogs have been shot while rabbit hunting.