IGNORED

WMA - PHEASANT- DOG - STRANGER

JD48

I volunteered for over 10 years as a dog handler /mentor with my 3 Boykins for the kids pheasant hunt !  That was very stressful , new shooters / gun handlers !  So Yes I have let a few strangers  hunt with me before !  I have let a few guys push birds with me in MWAs with the dogs and they were very thankful . But as the dogs are getting older I keep them to myself and family ! 

Edited by Boykin Runner

Not only no but hell no, just the fact that he/she would ask a stranger is a red flag. 

Edited by bushden
spelling

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

18 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

This is why I would find it hard to hunt rabbits with dogs. I've never done it - but I don't see how I could have a good time doing that because the whole time I would be afraid that a dog would jump out of the tall grass in front of me chasing a rabbit just as I was pulling the trigger. Maybe it isn't as bad as I think it would be, but I would be paranoid the whole time hunting rabbits with dogs.

At least with upland birds, you know they will get up in the air if you push them enough. Rabbits? You are always shooting  at the ground - and I just don't see how that is safe with dogs chasing them at the same time. I'm sure it isn't as bad as I think it would be but... I can't imagine how many dogs have been shot while rabbit hunting.

Rabbit is way ahead of the dogs

19 minutes ago, Boykin Runner said:

I volunteered for over 10 years as a dog handler /mentor with my 3 Boykins for the kids pheasant hunt !  That was very stressful , new shooters / gun handlers !  So Yes I have let a few strangers  hunt with me before !  I have let a few guys push birdes with me in MWAs with the dogs and they were very thankful . But as the dogs are getting older I keep them to myself and family ! 

Have a lot of respect for those that do the youth pheasant hunts, trying to watch, dogs, guns, kids, birds, too stressful for me

There was a gentleman I met last year. We met at the parking area.

I asked if he wanted to join me with my older dog. He said sure.

He asked me how would you like things to be.

Chamber open. When the dog goes on point I'll direct you where to stand. I'll flush the bird and back you up.

Things went perfect. I do not do this as a habit. The man was nice, had his wits, we had great conversation, he was safe. 

I typically hunt alone. Since I have my new pup I have found a great bunch of guys through my breeder. We worked together for tests and trials. Great bunch of guys and we call each other to see who is hunting and when and we hunt together. 

Just an add - most of my issues at WMA's have been with other people and their dogs. Either they were not trained properly, or I would stand and wait for them to tell me where to move since their dog was on point, but instead they would say sarcastic things. I have also encountered the no dog guys and them have tried to hunt near or where my dog pointed.

Edited by thefirstndsecond

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

1 minute ago, MikeStaten said:

I don’t hunt public land for pheasants much but if the guy had a kid with him and they seemed normal, I’d probably allow them to hunt with me and my dog.   I was up at Flatbrook and let a kid and his dad hunt with me.  Everything was fine.  

Odds are most times things will be fine, but the one time it isn't, everything turns to shxt

3 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Depends I have avoided people and let people join.  If I see how they handle themselves before hand also by talking to other people.   I have invited people from thus site that otherwise no interaction that have been great hunting partners

I enjoy just me and the dog, go where i want to go, go at my own pace, let a bird go if shot isn't right

3 hours ago, Mixbaghunter said:

I have let people hunt with me and my dogs before has always worked out . I have also joined other people and there dogs when I didn't have a dog . But see your point

I don't know how you can read someone to feel if their safe or not, everyone is usually on best behavior when they want something, I've seen to many adult men get goofy and stupid over a pheasant

22 minutes ago, JD48 said:

I don't know how you can read someone to feel if their safe or not, everyone is usually on best behavior when they want something, I've seen to many adult men get goofy and stupid over a pheasant

Most guys including my self that have invited strangers to hunt have seen them multiple times hunting the sane fields so have had a chance to whiteness how they hunt.   I've seen some dumb crap @Codaboyand @Swamp ratwere together when a guy shot a bird on the ground with multiple people and dogs close that guy got an earful from all of us

6 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Most guys including my self that have invited strangers to hunt have seen them multiple times hunting the sane fields so have had a chance to whiteness how they hunt.   I've seen some dumb crap @Codaboyand @Swamp ratwere together when a guy shot a bird on the ground with multiple people and dogs close that guy got an earful from all of us

I can understand that you were at least familiar with them and had a chance to see how they operate, but some guy who I've seen in the parking lot for 2 minutes and asks to hunt with me and my dog, no way