IGNORED

WMA - PHEASANT- DOG - STRANGER

JD48

16 minutes ago, JD48 said:

I can understand that you were at least familiar with them and had a chance to see how they operate, but some guy who I've seen in the parking lot for 2 minutes and asks to hunt with me and my dog, no way

I understand that. 

On a couple occasions I have let complete strangers hunt over my dog or dogs on State WMA.

One was youth deer firearms day a kid maybe 15 years old was up in the corner of a field in a treestand. My buddy and I told him it was not safe since it’s Saturday and the parking lot is full of pheasant hunters who would definitely be shooting in his direction.

He climbed down, I thought his dad or someone was going to be with him near by but he said his mom drops him off.

he asked if he could hunt with us, I told him not with buckshot on him and he needed more orange.

he ran back to the parking lot and 15 minutes later his mom dropped off new shotgun shells and better orange clothing.

he hurried back over to us and since he was a youth he had the stamp already.

i went over safety with him and no shooting on the ground etc.

he got several shots and did get his first pheasant.

he was so excited he said he always goes hunting but this was the first time he ever got to bring something home.

made me feel good.

19 minutes ago, Bones said:

On a couple occasions I have let complete strangers hunt over my dog or dogs on State WMA.

One was youth deer firearms day a kid maybe 15 years old was up in the corner of a field in a treestand. My buddy and I told him it was not safe since it’s Saturday and the parking lot is full of pheasant hunters who would definitely be shooting in his direction.

He climbed down, I thought his dad or someone was going to be with him near by but he said his mom drops him off.

he asked if he could hunt with us, I told him not with buckshot on him and he needed more orange.

he ran back to the parking lot and 15 minutes later his mom dropped off new shotgun shells and better orange clothing.

he hurried back over to us and since he was a youth he had the stamp already.

i went over safety with him and no shooting on the ground etc.

he got several shots and did get his first pheasant.

he was so excited he said he always goes hunting but this was the first time he ever got to bring something home.

made me feel good.

Nice move

9 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

This is why I would find it hard to hunt rabbits with dogs. I've never done it - but I don't see how I could have a good time doing that because the whole time I would be afraid that a dog would jump out of the tall grass in front of me chasing a rabbit just as I was pulling the trigger. Maybe it isn't as bad as I think it would be, but I would be paranoid the whole time hunting rabbits with dogs.

At least with upland birds, you know they will get up in the air if you push them enough. Rabbits? You are always shooting  at the ground - and I just don't see how that is safe with dogs chasing them at the same time. I'm sure it isn't as bad as I think it would be but... I can't imagine how many dogs have been shot while rabbit hunting.

Well ,if you’re hunting with a rabbit dog ,like a beagle ,the rabbit is always far ahead of the beagle ,the dogs nowhere close. Jump shooting rabbits with a dog is more along the lines I think what you’re talking about.

Edited by Nomad

I used to go all the tome in PA with a buddy of mine who had a flusher but we knew the drill.  

growing up we had beagles and we’ve taken some folk out rabbit hunting over the years and they run with the pack like they might as well be a beagle and no matter what ya tell them they chase the dogs.  It’s unsafe and unproductive so they don’t get asked to come back.  Not to mention if you shoot a jumped rabbit your out too!

1 minute ago, Sharpdogs said:

My son got his first pheasant when he was 10 because a hunter we never met let us hunt over his dog.  I will always be grateful.  I totally understand why someone would be hesitant.  Dogs are family and it's a big risk.

Hunting dogs are way more than family, their a hunting partner/buddy, a special bond

On 9/1/2022 at 7:16 AM, JD48 said:

If asked by a stranger at a WMA if they could hunt with you and your dog, would you let them?  I wouldn't, you say?

I usually  don't. 

Some years back in Sterling Forest after a Pheasant Release- member here--230jhp kind of latched on to me on the walk in with a Pheasant Hunting Group. Since he had no Dog,I let him hunt with me and ABBEY. 

Probably  hunted Pheasants with Frank here a good 4 or 5 times. 

My only rule is  one Man gets 1st shot at a Flushed up Pheasant and the 2and Man Backs him up if there is a missed Bird.

Next Pheasant that is ready to Flush up- the guy who already has 1 Pheasant is now the backup Man. 

This makes it fair. I don't  like it when 2 Men in a party and close to eachother shoot at the same Flushing up Pheasant.

Most times though- Strangers  without a Dog will " Ghost" your perimeter.  Any Pheasant that is missed and they will open up. This above scenario happens too much..

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

3 hours ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I usually  don't. 

Some years back in Sterling Forest after a Pheasant Release- member here--230jhp kind of latched on to me on the walk in with a Pheasant Hunting Group. Since he had no Dog,I let him hunt with me and ABBEY. 

Probably  hunted Pheasants with Frank here a good 4 or 5 times. 

My only rule is  one Man gets 1st shot at a Flushed up Pheasant and the 2and Man Backs him up if there is a missed Bird.

Next Pheasant that is ready to Flush up- the guy who already has 1 Pheasant is now the backup Man. 

This makes it fair. I don't  like it when 2 Men in a party and close to eachother shoot at the same Flushing up Pheasant.

Most times though- Strangers  without a Dog will " Ghost" your perimeter.  Any Pheasant that is missed and they will open up. This above scenario happens too much..

Yeah, I've guys try to move in while dog was on point