IGNORED

Sauce or Gravy?

LPJR

1 minute ago, Dominant buck said:

I really don't care or have a preference,  but if you guys want to make me several different dashes  of meatballs,  sausage,  chicken parm,  etc, i will gladly sample each one and let you know which one is "sauce  or gravy"

Smart move

Man!!! ... that looks good, LPJR. Both just the fried cutlets, and after you Parmigiana'd them.  :up:

Is this sauce/gravy thing a regional thing? What part of Italy their family came from? Where they settled .... NYC, Jersey, Boston, etc? I've known full-blast Italians that call the meatless  red stuff "gravy."

My mother's family came from the mountains northeast of Rome,  to mine coal in Pennsylvania. I continue their "Sunday Sauce" tradition whenever I can and it's simmering for hours full of pork and other meats. 

5 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

It's simmering for hours full of pork and other meats. 

That's the way it's done :)  You want to know what's REALLY good (and I still haven't perfected this - though I know a older woman who did, who has since sadly passed) -- slow cook crabs in "sauce" ... you get the spices just right and MAN! The best crabs you ever ate. Crabs and spaghetti!! It's hard to beat.

12 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Gravy contains meat.  Sauce does not have any meat.  It's that simple.

My Ragú contains pork, prosciutto, and sweet sausage.  It's a gravy.  And it's red.

Marinara is a sauce because it contains no meat.  It is vegetarian (possibly vegan).

We have a winner! If it has meat in it gravy. No meat it is a sauce. White clam is a sauce not a gravy. A pot of meatballs, sausage, pork neck bones is a red gravy. Simple.

29 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

.... slow cook crabs in "sauce" ... you get the spices just right and MAN! The best crabs you ever ate. Crabs and spaghetti!! It's hard to beat.

"Crabs and spaghetti" ... it just doesn't sound right. lol. But, I love both of those things ... I'll give it a shot.

How do you get the spices "just right?"  Standard tomato sauce spices and herbs? Or, is it an Old Bay type thing?

8 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

"Crabs and spaghetti" ... it just doesn't sound right. lol. But, I love both of those things ... I'll give it a shot.

How do you get the spices "just right?"  Standard tomato sauce spices and herbs? Or, is it an Old Bay type thing?

I don't know! That's the part that kills me. The old woman I talk about - it was the mother-in-law of my wife's godfather (or something like that) - basically a friend of her family. For years, every summer she'd host a party and cook all the food, one of which was slow-cooked-crabs-and-spaghetti. For the longest time, I told my wife, "You need to go over there when she's cooking that and ask to watch her cook and get the recipe." She never did ("Why don't YOU go over there?" -- um.. it's YOUR family friend). The woman died a couple years ago, and the secret went with her :crying:

Old bay I'm sure. Some red pepper flakes; a little of this, a little of that. I wish I knew. It had a good spicy "bite" to the crab meat and sauce. It was messy opening up the crabs, but it was awesome. (oh, to be clear, it was definitely a red "sauce" - it was spaghetti gravy with this crabby-spicy flavor... hard to explain.. you had to experience it :D)

Edited by mazzgolf