IGNORED

Illinois Bound!

8 hours ago, TheBuckStopsHere said:

How many guys does that outfitter ke (ITB)? How many guys are you hunting with??  Just curious for the future. I know they have different camps so that breaks it up but just wondering.

They have farms scattered all over several counties in West Central Illinois consisting of  thousands of acres.  The lodge Andy is at is in Calhoun County , he has several thousand acres scattered across Calhoun which is 30 miles tip to tip. On a thousand acre farm you would most likely have around 8 hunters. 

The farm I'm on for gun season is 450 acres with only 2 hunters total. 

They do (3) 6 day  bowhunts and the 1st 3 day shotgun season. Most outfitters run guys from Oct 1 to Jan 15. 

The lodge in Calhoun is decent size and the 17 guys are scattered around the area not on the same farm. 

Several farms are 125 in minimum farms but if you want the chance at something nice you want to get on one of the 140 min farms. 

You will pay a fine if you shoot a small deer. 

It takes time to work yourself into one of the better farms. 

I been hunting with them since 2009. I have shot a few bucks out there but it doesn't happen every year. You need to spend some time in the tree and even then no guarantees. 

www.liftxrentals.com

3 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

They have farms scattered all over several counties in West Central Illinois consisting of  thousands of acres.  The lodge Andy is at is in Calhoun County , he has several thousand acres scattered across Calhoun which is 30 miles tip to tip. On a thousand acre farm you would most likely have around 8 hunters. 

The farm I'm on for gun season is 450 acres with only 2 hunters total. 

They do (3) 6 day  bowhunts and the 1st 3 day shotgun season. Most outfitters run guys from Oct 1 to Jan 15. 

The lodge in Calhoun is decent size and the 17 guys are scattered around the area not on the same farm. 

Several farms are 125 in minimum farms but if you want the chance at something nice you want to get on one of the 140 min farms. 

You will pay a fine if you shoot a small deer. 

It takes time to work yourself into one of the better farms. 

I been hunting with them since 2009. I have shot a few bucks out there but it doesn't happen every year. You need to spend some time in the tree and even then no guarantees. 

Tom is spot on. They have 1000s of acres and many farms in multiple counties. The Lodge we are staying at is leased/rented by multiple outfitters. It can be a bit crowded. I prefer my own room so I can spread out my gear and relax. 

41 minutes ago, midwestxpress said:

I'm think of buying a small enclosed trailer and building my own little self contained camp. Keep all my hunting gear in there year round, little bed , toilet. Nothing worse than trying to fall asleep with someone cutting wood all night.

We definitely cant go away together.....I am a WORLD CHAMPION snorer.

44 minutes ago, midwestxpress said:

I'm think of buying a small enclosed trailer and building my own little self contained camp. Keep all my hunting gear in there year round, little bed , toilet. Nothing worse than trying to fall asleep with someone cutting wood all night.

The one and only time I went to Illinois I had the bad fortune of bunking with a guy that sounded like a chainsaw. I tried to make it into bed and fall asleep before him but that didn't always work out. I would get up and sleep on the couch in the living room. 

43 minutes ago, archer36 said:

The one and only time I went to Illinois I had the bad fortune of bunking with a guy that sounded like a chainsaw. I tried to make it into bed and fall asleep before him but that didn't always work out. I would get up and sleep on the couch in the living room. 

Ear plugs are in my overnight bag and my truck for those special occasions:sleeping:

4 hours ago, archer36 said:

Been there also, it sucks! I need my beauty sleep.  Was at Maine deer camp at Oxbow lodge,  it was a old 3 story bldg with bedrooms on every floor, I swear out  of 30 guys, 29 of them snoored,  it was crazy loud, and my OCD  was at full alert , as they would all answer each other during the night with the snooring.  I tried sleeping in basement,  TV room, then finally the truck.   Went to town to get ear plugs and nyquel.   Fast forward,  I usally hunt and stay by myself

Half day bowhunt today on this farm. This afternoon we will go to another farm to see our gun setups for the next three days. 

Cold and crisp this morning with a NNW wind at 10 mph. Finally some good weather. Guides are saying the rut has been almost non existent so far. I hope it changes and quick!!