IGNORED

2021 Garden Thread

picked 7 peaches off my tree. this makes 10 peaches that the tree produced in its first year. i dont know if thats good or bad. i planted the peach tree in march of this year. so as of july 26 it grew 10 peaches. in early spring the tree must of dropped 2 dozen. but these stayed and grew. gonna make a small peach cobbler. might freeze them until fall, not sure yet. 

KIMG0166.thumb.JPG.3532be3c6ffb4ea5cd13d916cbfcecd0.JPG

4 hours ago, Kype said:

picked 7 peaches off my tree. this makes 10 peaches that the tree produced in its first year. i dont know if thats good or bad. i planted the peach tree in march of this year. so as of july 26 it grew 10 peaches. in early spring the tree must of dropped 2 dozen. but these stayed and grew. gonna make a small peach cobbler. might freeze them until fall, not sure yet. 

KIMG0166.thumb.JPG.3532be3c6ffb4ea5cd13d916cbfcecd0.JPG

Outstanding!!

that first year tree sounds like a winner!!

Peaches in the summer time…apples in the fall…if I can’t get the girl I love ….don’t want none at all!! Garcia’s   Shady Grove lyrics!

wish I had room for fruit trees!!

12 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Outstanding!!

that first year tree sounds like a winner!!

Peaches in the summer time…apples in the fall…if I can’t get the girl I love ….don’t want none at all!! Garcia’s   Shady Grove lyrics!

wish I had room for fruit trees!!

thanks. i dont have a lot of room either but i read that peach trees can self polinate with the wind so i went with peach. i guess other fruit trees need more then one to polinate. the tree has one more peach im waiting for it to soften up a bit. looking forward to how many ill get next year. 

22 minutes ago, Kype said:

thanks. i dont have a lot of room either but i read that peach trees can self polinate with the wind so i went with peach. i guess other fruit trees need more then one to polinate. the tree has one more peach im waiting for it to soften up a bit. looking forward to how many ill get next year. 

Plan on pruning that tree this winter ? Shaping

2 hours ago, Jerzguy2 said:

Plan on pruning that tree this winter ? Shaping

yes. its growing very fast. 2 weeks ago i had to trim branches that were already touching my grass. in a few months it grew about 3 feet out and 2 feet taller then when i planted it

Edited by Kype

11 minutes ago, Northjerseyoutdoorsman said:

I don't even know what to do with it all this year I planted way too much lol

Try looking for a local food pantry.  There is a church here in my town (Brick), that gladly accepts garden vegetables for their pantry and donations.  Can always knock on the neighbor's doors too; I do that as well; keeps me in their good graces and they leave me and my chickens alone :) . 

3 hours ago, Swamprat said:

Pickled some peppers. 

IMG_20210730_114510771.jpg

IMG_20210730_122537098.jpg

How did ya do it?  I pickled mine for the first time the other day. Jalapeños and cherry peppers. Sliced them up and put them in mason jars with crushed garlic cloves on the bottom, boiled some white vinegar with some salt and sugar, poured the boiling vinegar over the peppers and let it all sit in the jar for 30 mins before sealing and refrigerating. After two days of soaking they’re delicious. Hopefully they’ll stay good for two weeks or so.

8FA42C48-EEFF-4586-964F-FB95DD57B51A.jpeg