IGNORED

2021 Garden Thread

13 minutes ago, Zone50BugNerd said:

Are you feeding them at all?  My sunflowers and tomatoes were both a bit droopy a few weeks ago.  On a whim I bought the product below, watered it in and in a couple of days everything sprang back to life and I've had no issues since.  I've even had to prune my beefsteaks already.

image.png.12fa33822155aee89b81b7681a90b158.png

I limed the garden in Feb after adding compost from the chicken coop last fall.  Also spread about 2 lbs of 10-10-10 before tilling and then sprinkled a little around the plantings.  First year ever, in decades, I've had this problem.  Too much lime? Too much chicken chit? Some kind of disease? Sudden changes in temps from near freezing to 90's, back and forth? Guess just wait and see if they pick back up.  Some stuff is ok, potatoes, spinach, squash, cukes are starting to climb.  It's only been 5 weeks since I planted warm stuff so it may just still be too early, but it does seem to be taken everything longer to get going once they break ground. 

On 6/21/2021 at 9:26 PM, Bonefreak said:

White snow on first day of Summer!!??

in the victory garden!!

snow and sugar snaps peas, cauliflower, and cabbage!!

spring plants are out…peppers, eggplant, watermelon n cantaloupe went in today!!

22B9FF1B-7D8A-4A98-9E1C-8543BF771F6C.jpeg

44CA5210-D102-48CC-95BC-F2D0B9D05DB2.jpeg

You definitely are getting some great results from your garden 

14 hours ago, Jerzguy2 said:

That appears to be very similar to damage caused by a faulty exhaust vent on a heater in a greenhouse'

How about intense heat?  My garden is down in a ditch that was dug out for a RR bed many moons ago.  Doesn't get sun until late morning, but when it hits, the thermometer often gets well over 100 to 120 for the rest of the day.  Always had it there, though, and it takes longer each year for the sun to hit it as the pines get taller.  Could it be that the sun is getting more intense due to cow farts and global warming?(hint of sarcasm)

I'm sticking to the opinion on Herbicide damage, but I've been out of the loop to long to remember what high nutrient damage looks like. If you applied chicken manure in fall, I doubt that could have caused an issue this late. Sometimes high temps after a wet period will result in excessive nutrient uptake, but I still don't think that it would look like that. 

8 hours ago, Integracingsr said:

What’s the recipe?  Love galumpkis

Nothing to it!!

Very easy!!

it’s pretty much like the below recipe….I cheated a bit by heating up a microwave packet of uncle Bens brown rice then mixed it into ground venison….& the the Ol lady didn’t even have a friggen onion in the fridge….so I mixed in some fried onion crisps thingys 

rolled mix n wrapped into leaves….secured with toothpicks and simmered for 40 mins. 

Bone’ appetit’

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26661/stuffed-cabbage-rolls/

1 hour ago, Zone50BugNerd said:

My favorite.  Stuffed and fried with tempura batter.  Next round of flowers are coming off my plants!  Enjoy. 

What is your recipe for the stuffing that you put into them?

8 minutes ago, madeinuk said:

What is your recipe for the stuffing that you put into them?

2 parts goat cheese to 1 part cream cheese.  Salt and pepper to taste, and depending on what herbs are growing, I’ll chop and add green onion and herbs to the cheese mix, basil, thyme even dill; they all work.  No need to add any other type of binder, it holds together well.  Impossible to mess it up, if I can make it anyone can.  It’s all about the right oil temp for tempura.