IGNORED

“This must be my lucky day” PSA!

Pathman

I don't leave my stands out year round but they are out from July or August through January every year.  After about 2 seasons I replace all the hardware on those cheap stands with grade 8 bolts and replace the cables with chain.  After 2 seasons the amount of rust in the cables under the plastic is amazing.  I don't trust the cheap coated cables or some of the cheap bolts I've seen on those stands to hold my fat ass up in the tree after they get exposed to the elements.  I have stands I replaced the hardware on 20+ years ago that are still in great shape.  Its a bit of an investment to put good hardware and chain on the cheaper stands but it will last a long time and if they don't get stolen it will pay off in the long run.  Plus it greatly increases the safety of the stand.  Glad it worked out for you, could have been much worse.

3 hours ago, BHC said:

Tuesday while muzzleloader hunting i went to adjust my legs and I didn't clear the foot rest, the bottom part of my climber is dangling 3' below me, I'm 25' up in the tree, thank God it was tied to the seat section of my climber I was able to maneuver it back into position 

Is it an API by chance? I've had that happen with mine. One time it wasn't tied off, that was interesting to say the least. Also had the seat/ climbing aid slam down against the bottom part.

5 minutes ago, DBuck said:

Is it an API by chance? I've had that happen with mine. One time it wasn't tied off, that was interesting to say the least. Also had the seat/ climbing aid slam down against the bottom part.

yes it is, older model...first time in 0ver 20 years using this stand....my fault

Glad to hear your ok Pathman. So my brother decided to take it upon himself to drive 2hrs on Wednesday  before opening day to our Pennsylvania property.  I  had complained of wind direction at my stand. He didn't want me to have a bad week of camp. I thanks God for him because if he didn't I would have been on this tree Monday morning when it decided to do this. Not sure what would have happened. But it looks like it would have been a crazy ride ! On the bright side of things we have 3 bucks in camp!

20201130_124021.jpg

20201130_124055.jpg

20201130_124107.jpg

5 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

This is exactly why I switched to a climbing harness and got away from those hunting harnesses that connect to your upper back/neck. I actually tested hanging from my old hunting harness (one of those expensive HSS ones) and I literally couldn't last a few MINUTES (let alone a half hour) - the pain in the groin got unbearable. I immediately switched to a climbing harness.

This is why I like to tell people when threads like this come up - don't just check your stands and lifelines - check your harness, too!!! Make sure you know how it will feel when you are hanging - get an idea for how long you can last hanging before you get in real trouble.

Tell us more.  Do you have favorite models? Do you see any drawbacks using the climbing harness?

Ok, here’s where this post goes a little sideways, but the more info the better right! 

so for you guys who use the rock climbing harnesses, I’m not seeing how the suspension trauma issue is different as the harnesses still have the groin straps. 
Can any of you provide any simulation video links demonstrating someone falling and hanging from a stand using one of these devices?