IGNORED

“This must be my lucky day” PSA!

Pathman

On 12/3/2020 at 5:56 PM, Pathman said:

Hard to say Matt. As you see in the pic, it’s right in the middle so even if it was cut there it might be hard to tell. However, I will inspect once I take it down (I relocated quickly to another stand tonight, saw a really nice 8 too, but he got a pass!😁) to see if the plastic has a very straight cut or a tear, I may be able to tell. 
its private property with security, but that wouldn’t rule it out for sure, we’ve had things go missing in the past. 

from folding it up and down i think

17 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Have you tried it? Have you hung (no cheating!) from your harness for more than a few seconds? The initial fall is the first thing you have to worry about, yes. The hanging there for however long is the second thing you need to worry about. If your hunting harness works for you for both, stay with it. But at least know yourself how your own harness performs for both.

Just found this video if interested. This guy actually has almost the same HSS harness I used to use before I switched. Frankly, though, his "fall" scenario isn't the one I'm worried about. Falling out of a stand that is still intact is mostly fine with either harness (as you can see, either one you'll get back up - though watch the second video below for a more difficult recovery)... it's the time when your climber platform falls or a hang-on breaks or someone cuts your ladder stand straps when the difference will be seen (i.e. you'll be hanging without anything to quickly climb back into).

This is the kind of scenario that caused me to switch. Just watching this guy hurts. And he has a platform he can get back into. The whole suspension-relief-strap-thing goes away with a climbing harness - I could never get the suspension relief strap out and deployed quickly enough (have you tried that, too?)

This guy says the same thing as me ("I highly recommend getting out there practicing ... just get a couple feet off the ground, suspend yourself from your harness, and just see how difficult it is when you are held there by the safety harness by the back of your neck.").

But, again, if your hunting harness works for you, stick with it.

I’ll check them out, thanks. Yes Inhave hung from my harness but not for long. I’m not disagreeing that the harnesses can be a suspension issue, what I want to know is why/how the mountain harnesses are different as they also have groin straps, and if you’re connected in the front, and only at the waist, how do you not go upside down in a fall? 

2 hours ago, Pathman said:

I’ll check them out, thanks. Yes Inhave hung from my harness but not for long. I’m not disagreeing that the harnesses can be a suspension issue, what I want to know is why/how the mountain harnesses are different as they also have groin straps, and if you’re connected in the front, and only at the waist, how do you not go upside down in a fall? 

Glad it turned out ok for you.  I wasn't so lucky once. 

I took a rappelling course once.  Instructor had us tie our own harness with a 10' piece of rope, attached in front.  He had me demonstrate a fall to show how the belay works.  I let go of the rope to cover my face so not to smash it against the tower, as instructed.  Surprisingly,there was no sensation at all to roll over.  Even did the Australian face down walk down the side with no fear of rolling over.  Good way to save yourself in a fall is to have a screw in step or two attached to your harness straps to stand on

Edited by Greybeard