IGNORED

wood burning stove tip

Kype

ceiling and floor registers work! after doing research i found many to say that registers wont work with wood burning stoves because the cold air is heavier then hot and you will only get cold air coming down the vent, rather then hot air rising. 

i think it all how your house is set up. every house is different with drafts and the lay out. for my house it works perfect. 

directly above my stove i installed a vent with a duct going into the living room upstairs. i can feel the heat raging through the new duct where as prior it was trapped in the basement until it reached my staircase. 

now my basement isnt as hot and more heat it rising into the second and third level. i may install one more register not sure yet. i dont wanna break something that isnt broken. so far this is great. the vent i bought is only a 10x4" vent. and the difference is amazing. 

basement has dropped 5 degrees and living room rised a few. 

I have a ranch home with central air registers/return in ceiling. Wood insert is on far side of home. I run the air handler to circulate the air throughout the home and it works very nicely!  With the programmable thermostats you simply set the fan to “circulate” and it randomly turns on/off 20 minutes to each hour to move the air and equalize temperature throughout the home...no portable fans needed!

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

6 hours ago, Reeltight said:

I was going to do that when I moved into my house awhile back and I never did. My basement gets really hot and the rest of the house is pretty cool. I always thought it would be a good idea. 

i would suggest trying it. the register i installed was directly above my stove. i also now feel more cold air coming down my staircase then before. so i have cold air coming down the steps and allows the hot air to rise through the register. amazing what a 10x4" vent does. im thinking maybe i should of bought the bigger register. 

• 3 months later...

I did the same for many years and it worked good.

Then I took a 4×10 to 8 " round placed the 4×10 over the blower vents on top of my stove, to a 8"round flexible  vent pipe , up to another 4×10 through the floor and heat both zones in my house except for the coldest nights. 

On 11/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, Kype said:

ceiling and floor registers work! after doing research i found many to say that registers wont work with wood burning stoves because the cold air is heavier then hot and you will only get cold air coming down the vent, rather then hot air rising. 

i think it all how your house is set up. every house is different with drafts and the lay out. for my house it works perfect. 

directly above my stove i installed a vent with a duct going into the living room upstairs. i can feel the heat raging through the new duct where as prior it was trapped in the basement until it reached my staircase. 

now my basement isnt as hot and more heat it rising into the second and third level. i may install one more register not sure yet. i dont wanna break something that isnt broken. so far this is great. the vent i bought is only a 10x4" vent. and the difference is amazing. 

basement has dropped 5 degrees and living room rised a few. 

What type of ceiling is in the basement ?

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

1 hour ago, Bucndoe said:

What type of ceiling is in the basement ?

drywall. i cut the vent inbetween the ceiling joists. the vent allows more hot air into my living room just above. basement is finished

22 minutes ago, Kype said:

drywall. i cut the vent inbetween the ceiling joists. the vent allows more hot air into my living room just above. basement is finished

So you have a vent in the ceiling  in the basement and another on the floor above for air flow ?

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

The main key and true factor I have learned from over 20 years of heating is consistency 2nd picture after stove is 10' away from it, second is kitchen window 20' away 3rd is up stairs some 60' feet away if you watch and regulate as outside temp fluctuate you will be fine.

Calling for 70° on Thursday and my fire will still be burning, just really choked down.

77° tv room might be warm for some but I rather it at 82°

We keep house at mid 70's  all year regaurdless of heat or cool

PXL_20210310_003410448.jpg

PXL_20210310_003421826.jpg

PXL_20210310_003449350.jpg

PXL_20210310_003553661.jpg

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.