IGNORED

wood burning stove tip

Kype

On 11/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, Kype said:

ceiling and floor registers work! after doing research i found many to say that registers wont work with wood burning stoves because the cold air is heavier then hot and you will only get cold air coming down the vent, rather then hot air rising. 

i think it all how your house is set up. every house is different with drafts and the lay out. for my house it works perfect. 

directly above my stove i installed a vent with a duct going into the living room upstairs. i can feel the heat raging through the new duct where as prior it was trapped in the basement until it reached my staircase. 

now my basement isnt as hot and more heat it rising into the second and third level. i may install one more register not sure yet. i dont wanna break something that isnt broken. so far this is great. the vent i bought is only a 10x4" vent. and the difference is amazing. 

basement has dropped 5 degrees and living room rised a few. 

If, you install a register above the stove and another somewhere  across the room you will create ventilation.  hot will rise above and cold will go down the opposite one. I did that in my previous place and it worked wonders.... i had a 9-10 degree difference b/4 and after

1 hour ago, Bucndoe said:

So you have a vent in the ceiling  in the basement and another on the floor above for air flow ?

yup, with a duct in between the vent on the basement ceiling and a vent on the floor in the living room. that way im not loosing heat into the ceiling/floor. 

not so much for air flow, just for heat to rise through the vent. the vent is directly above my wood stove. worked out really well this winter. this post is from nov. 2020. 

it made my living room much warmer this season and my basement not like a sauna

45 minutes ago, Bowhunter458 said:

If, you install a register above the stove and another somewhere  across the room you will create ventilation.  hot will rise above and cold will go down the opposite one. I did that in my previous place and it worked wonders.... i had a 9-10 degree difference b/4 and after

thought of that but my steps are nearby. and i can feel the cold air coming down the steps and can feel the hot air going through the vent i installed. 

4 minutes ago, Kype said:

yup, with a duct in between the vent on the basement ceiling and a vent on the floor in the living room. that way im not loosing heat into the ceiling/floor. 

not so much for air flow, just for heat to rise through the vent. the vent is directly above my wood stove. worked out really well this winter. this post is from nov. 2020. 

it made my living room much warmer this season and my basement not like a sauna

I have hardwood floors upstairs and a drop ceiling in the basement. Have been thinking about a pellet stove in the basement in the center of the house with registers in the floors and ceiling. I'm thinking my results would be similar to yours

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

2 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

I have hardwood floors and a drop ceiling in the basement. Have been thinking about a pellet stove in the basement in the center of the house. I'm thinking my results would be quite similar to yours

probably would work. i dont know anything about pellet stoves. you may have to come up with something to fasten the vent to a drop ceiling because as you know drop cieling tiles are fragile and flimsy. 

1 hour ago, Roon said:

The main key and true factor I have learned from over 20 years of heating is consistency 2nd picture after stove is 10' away from it, second is kitchen window 20' away 3rd is up stairs some 60' feet away if you watch and regulate as outside temp fluctuate you will be fine.

Calling for 70° on Thursday and my fire will still be burning, just really choked down.

77° tv room might be warm for some but I rather it at 82°

We keep house at mid 70's  all year regaurdless of heat or cool

PXL_20210310_003410448.jpg

PXL_20210310_003421826.jpg

PXL_20210310_003449350.jpg

PXL_20210310_003553661.jpg

i have the same in my house lol. acurites on each level. its amazing how the heat from my basement finds its way up stairs in no time. i have a small house but its damn tall. tall enough where my ass will never be on the roof. the register installed has helped greatly with letting hot air from the stove to rise. i also run one of these small fans at the top entrance to each staircase. it throws the heat right up. they make little to no noise.

KIMG1911.thumb.JPG.17956a2338f4e9d66e2400c48028c349.JPG