IGNORED

Delaware River around Gap

30percent

I'm getting a person tandem fishing kayak.

I'm thinking of going fishing on kayak with my 8 years old son on Delaware River around the National Recreation area.

We would wear PDF, bring whistle, rope.

I know there has been multiple drowning that happened over the years.

Wonder what's the safety risk involved?

Where can I learn more to safely fish the river on a kayak with my son?

thank you

Agree to NOT start on river. PFD’s are  a must.  As you both get your sea legs and experience - graduate to the big rivers. A void rapids and when river is flooded. There are some beautiful stretches from Water gap to Milford Bridge. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

The Delaware is a very dangerous River ....my pal hit a blowdown tree along the bank one October n his kayak rolled under the tree w him in it....there was heavy current and if his clothes or PFD got hung up on a branch he could have drowned.... always carry a knife in case u have to cut something in a hurry

same scenario happened to a kid in WV this past year....so try n predict the unimaginable like scenarios like that ....not being a Debbie Downer, but be prepared for anything u cud think of that can go wrong....I carry a PFD in my truck n long rope in case I have to save someone, among a whole tub of other survival and life hacks stuff!

like stated above....start and learn in a pond....but ponds can be dangerous too....across my street father & son neighbors drowned trying to get their remote control boat in a pond but got stuck in weeds and mud

have fun w your kid but stay extra safe near water!!

10 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

my pal hit a blowdown tree along the bank one October n his kayak rolled under the tree w him in it....there was heavy current and if his clothes or PFD got hung up on a branch he could have drowned.

We call those "strainers" and they are no joke.  I kayaked with my kids on the Delaware all the time, even through Foul Rift when the water was high and I forbid them to go close to the banks because of those strainers. 

I agree with all the advice above. And I add that at least at first, you shouldn't start learning how to kayak with an 8 year old in the boat. If something goes wrong, even on a small pond, you have two people to worry about. Why not try to make something go wrong in the boat, with other adults around on a warm day in that calm lake or pond, and see how you deal? Then by all means bring your child into it. Accidents are called accidents for a reason, and yes to the advice on strainers above. Some of the most dangerous things around in the water. I had a close call with one over twenty years ago and it's still seared into my respect for moving water. 

I actually had my little guy "Try Out" our kayak in our above ground pool. Made him wear his PFD, pack all of his gear and treat it the same as if he was on a pond/river. Even made him cast and practice netting. You would be amazed at how much he shifted his balance the first 20 minutes or so. Yeah, it may have looked silly, and he was mortified a neighbor would see him, but he quickly learned how much the kayak shifted when he was pretending to net a keeper. As a parent, I felt better when he finally "Graduated" to our local pond. 

Just remember that kayaks are good at going downstream. Not so much upstream. You will definitely need someone to pick you up at the let out. 

As others have said the river is no place to learn. Especially, with a youngster.+,

18 hours ago, 30percent said:

I'm getting a person tandem fishing kayak.

I'm thinking of going fishing on kayak with my 8 years old son on Delaware River around the National Recreation area.

We would wear PDF, bring whistle, rope.

I know there has been multiple drowning that happened over the years.

Wonder what's the safety risk involved?

Where can I learn more to safely fish the river on a kayak with my son?

thank you

Not this time of the year.