IGNORED

Delaware River around Gap

30percent

18 hours ago, 30percent said:

I'm getting a person tandem fishing kayak.

I'm thinking of going fishing on kayak with my 8 years old son on Delaware River around the National Recreation area.

We would wear PDF, bring whistle, rope.

I know there has been multiple drowning that happened over the years.

Wonder what's the safety risk involved?

Where can I learn more to safely fish the river on a kayak with my son?

thank you

I have a Kc-12 kayak. If fishing with children I strongly recommend looking into outriggers. They make it so much more stable.  I’ve taken both kids and my wife out into the navesink river, which can get very choppy and fast without any risk at all of tipping.  Without the outriggers it’s real sketch.  

eitherway wait till spring

Although I didn’t know him....but I think of this fella often...Bub Jackson....the epitome of huntin n fishin!  70 yrs old but lived n looked like a 50 yr old!  Always wanted to reach out to his family n send my condolences n let them know I think of him n try n plan for safety while afield. 

https://www.13newsnow.com/mobile/video/sports/outdoors/remembering-james-city-county-man-who-drowned-over-the-weekend/291-12996638-03e9-4b66-b3fc-f9e51dcf2777

Here's my then 8-year old approaching a gator on the bank in FL in 2005.  At the time he already had hundreds of hours in both canoe and kayak and I still would have never taken him fishing on the Delaware in November. Flipping in that cold water is a lot more dangerous than flipping among the gators. 1138532675_BielApproachesGator1.thumb.jpg.5da4b07c9a18c29d8ad9e6f670a4bea1.jpg

On 11/17/2020 at 6:43 AM, jumpthestring said:

I would start in a local lake . the water is too cold right now  you should start in the spring time .. you want your son to have a good experience. where ya from ?

We are from Essex County.

Thank you so much for the information and advice!

I'm doing all the research and planning at the moment.

I think once I received my tandem kayak, I would go paddle around Cranberry Lake in Sussex or Monksville Reservoir. We both know how to swim but regardless - can't hurt to put on our pdf. 

If we ever go paddling in Delaware River near Gap (most likely not anytime soon) - I would probably do so on my own first. I'm thinking of getting Minn Kota 70 lbs thrust trolling motor to go upstream.

I used to learn whitewater kayaking in Morristown with AMC kayak club.

Everytime I was there. it was all about safefy drill - learn how to flip over after turned upside down, escaped from the skirt, and calling for help by hitting the back of the kayak after turned over.