IGNORED

Bad shot, no recovery. What you guys think?

Daniel23

Shot a nice buck today with the muzzleloader. Tracked it about 800-1000 yards. Found some good blood in the beginning nice and red, then about 100 yards later drops and then sometimes it was a little more then just drops. When looking into the blood 2 times i found bone pieces. One pice of bone about 4 inches and another about 1 inch. Has anyone found pieces of bone when tracking a deer? Where do you think my shot was? I think i hit him to far forward and got the leg and just missed my target. Do you guys think its a fatal hit?

Quartering away at 70-80 yards with 800-1000 yard track job I would say that deer is still alive. Hurt, but for the time being still alive. Sounds like you are forward and you hit the leg which is why you see bone fragments. 

If it was me, I would be back out in the morning pick up last blood and attempt to keep looking. Worst thing that happens is you jump the deer because he's still alive.

Tracking dog and identify water sources, he won’t run a fever right away, but will develop an inquenchable thirst from all the blood loss. 

Definitely hit bone but 1000 yds is a long way to be running on 3 shoulders with what you hope is at least a liver hit or single punctured lung from a quartering shot. I think if you got shoulder, you just knicked it with the most likely bones being ribs that are falling out of the wound on a quartering shot. Either way, get the dog, find the water, and be prepared to find him in the thickest stuff around or jammed under a log somewhere. Recovered a 6 pointer last year the morning after  in some skunk cabbage so well hidden that I walked past him twice and was in the process of giving up when I essentially tripped over him.