IGNORED

The LOVE ❤️ of a CROSSBOW

Live to Hunt

There's no turning back now, hammer.  I had tried bending different power eyeglasses around so I could see through them when shooting.  It helped some, but made the target blurry, which isn't good when there are sticks to shoot between, then forgot to put them on when a deer came.  Verifiers were just too pricey, and I didn't know of anyplace that carried them to try, so there was no way to know which one I would need before buying. 

Also pulled a muscle in my back 2 weeks before the season.  Had a new string and cable put on, and the cable kept stretching, so I kept shooting and readjusting and shooting some more until I felt a burning knife in my back.  Couldn't pull the string back an inch after that, so I ran out and got the crossbow.  Had been getting bored hunting with the compound, and got tired of working on them, and the cost of replacing parts.  Hunting with the crossbow has put excitement back into hunting for me.  Like starting to hunt for the first time all over again.

I consider myself a die hard bow hunter, but I do have an order in for a new Ten Point Nitro X.   I still would prefer that they have there own season or no season at all, but since illinois  legalized them last year, all bets are off. I have a lot of pressure on my borders from outfitters and neighbors all carrying crossbows. I lost seven or eight good bucks this past year to crossbow hunters, some I passed up on, and two were my top hit listers. I have absolutely no plans of hanging up the bow, but I guess there will be situations now  were I’d be willing to take the crossbow or maybe take both with me. For those that say crossbows are not easier than vertical bows, I say total bullshit! I seen my target buck At least 13 times last year and I never got him with my bow, and im ok with that, I had an unbelievable season pursuing him and he's still alive.  He would have easily been dead on at least 3  or 4 of those encounters if I had a crossbow. 

10 hours ago, Greybeard said:

There's no turning back now, hammer.  I had tried bending different power eyeglasses around so I could see through them when shooting.  It helped some, but made the target blurry, which isn't good when there are sticks to shoot between, then forgot to put them on when a deer came.  Verifiers were just too pricey, and I didn't know of anyplace that carried them to try, so there was no way to know which one I would need before buying. 

Also pulled a muscle in my back 2 weeks before the season.  Had a new string and cable put on, and the cable kept stretching, so I kept shooting and readjusting and shooting some more until I felt a burning knife in my back.  Couldn't pull the string back an inch after that, so I ran out and got the crossbow.  Had been getting bored hunting with the compound, and got tired of working on them, and the cost of replacing parts.  Hunting with the crossbow has put excitement back into hunting for me.  Like starting to hunt for the first time all over again.

They def are expensive , about 50 bucks for the set up.

A few dealers carry them, Lancaster has them all. It takes  the exact one for both the pins and the target to be clear.

BUT when you get the right one its unreal.

drove me crazy to watch my pins fuzz out as I worked a shot, so I got one .

I love shooting my bow, and its nothing when I want to compete to shoot a few hundred arrows a day .

cant do that with a crossbow , as their isn't one on the market that can be shot like that all day even for a week. They aren't made for excessive shooting.

if only shooting a few times a week, then they last forever .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

59 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

They def are expensive , about 50 bucks for the set up.

A few dealers carry them, Lancaster has them all. It takes  the exact one for both the pins and the target to be clear.

BUT when you get the right one its unreal.

drove me crazy to watch my pins fuzz out as I worked a shot, so I got one .

I love shooting my bow, and its nothing when I want to compete to shoot a few hundred arrows a day .

cant do that with a crossbow , as their isn't one on the market that can be shot like that all day even for a week. They aren't made for excessive shooting.

if only shooting a few times a week, then they last forever .

That's not what Excalibur claims. LOL

Loved using my crossbow before my surgery and even more since. It allows me to hunt tight to homes and be cocked and ready at all times. I really wanted to get back into compounds but since surgery last spring, my hand still doesn't work the way I need it to. Plus they allow my father, who's fighting cancer and has limited energy, to continue hunting during the warmer fall seasons.

Thanks for all the positive criticism.  

B2004, did neighbors and outfitters not shoot your deer with compounds in past years ?  How did you see they all had crossbows, and know all your deer were shot by them and not by a compound 3 miles away?  I find these stories hard to believe as I do the ones that claim they see hunters with crossbows all day long, their hunts are ruined by them, they shoot all the deer, they were all just gun hunters that now shoot crossbows, yatta yatta.  Ever talk to a hunter with a crossbow?  Just curious, because I guess it's going on ten years now that crossbows were legal in NJ, and I've only seen 3 guys with crossbows.  Got to talk to 2 of them, and both switched from using a compound.   The devastation to our herd was done long before crossbows were legal, and the harvest numbers have stayed steady since, even with all the baiters now.

Edited by Greybeard

I love hunting with my crossbow simply because it brought back the confidence that I once had when I was younger. I've hunted 35 years with a recurve,a few years with a compound and now an Excalibur Micro.

There is NO better feeling then after you kill a Deer with a Traditional bow and a home made wood arrow.I will always miss it!  I love the Hunt, at this stage of my life, The Crossbow keeps me in the Hunt.............

Edited by Dinger

This is what it is all about. Getting guys out there motivating them keeping what we love to do alive.  I went through a hard time after my shoulder surgery. I couldn’t shoot my compound and Kansas didn’t allow crossbows. Thank god they changed that. 😍

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

I Love Kansas! But not the WIND!!!!! The 2 years I went I had to apply for a Handicap Crossbow permit. I'm glad they are allowing Crossbows now.

One thing I would like to add,I don't like to see young Hunters shooting Crossbows. They are going to miss what true archery is all about,eye,hand,muscle coordination ,the flight of an arrow.