IGNORED

I rushed the shot...

Lady Bird

I have had a really slow start to hunting this year.  I have put lots of hours in, but nothing to put in the freezer.  No shot at an early fall bow or bear.  Finally started to see deer moving in the last week.  Saw this guy working a scrape line,, at the bottom of a wheat field.  Gave him a grunt, he stopped and looked at me but kept walking away.  Half hour I see him again at the top of the wheat field grazing.  I grunted to him, he picked his head up and started to walk along the edge of the field to me.  My heart was pumping.  Got 20 yards broadside, and I rushed the shot.  Hit him far back in the guts.  Son of a bitch I was pissed at myself. He hunched up, tail tucked and slowly walked away.  Got to the bottom of the field, laid down, stood up and stood still for about 20 minutes.  He then slowly walked off into a bedding area.  I didn't even bother to look, knew with that shot I got to let him lay.  Found him early this morning not far from where I last saw him.  He was stiff, stunk like guts and tarsals.  Skinned him out, quartered and in the fridge.  Lesson learned.  TAKE YOUR TIME!  I'm still pissed at myself and will redeem myself soon.  I sat all day yesterday, saw lots of movement, exciting day.  Pretty sure I saw who broke this guys antler.  Game on. 

And yes, it's a family tradition - hang them high, never let them touch the ground. 

DSCN0362.JPG

DSCN0363.JPG

20161113_082658.jpg

20161113_082823.jpg

DSCN0366.JPG

You can't shoot them from the couch.

Wise decision Donna.  Glad you were able to recover him this morning.

Congratulations :up:

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

Very nice.

Like the story also.

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Although you made a less than desirable shot, you did everything else right.  Give you and your experience some credit!

It was cold last night, got to the low 30s, so you did the right thing all around.  Congrats on the recovery and the freezer meat! :up:  :up:

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.