IGNORED

Hunting out of state Big Woods never hunted before

JHbowhunter

Yes I do think you're nuts but for other reasons... have a great trip

Prime example of a guy I met through internet (Sugar). He turned out to be at least half-normal. LOL

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Get this book and read it immediately. Mapping Trophy Whitetails. It's a book all about hunting big bucks in the woods of Ohio and Indiana and how to use topo maps etc to really narrow down your hunting areas and key in on certain locations. Its a very good read and can really help you formulate a game plan for this hunt.

Get this book and read it immediately. Mapping Trophy Whitetails. It's a book all about hunting big bucks in the woods of Ohio and Indiana and how to use topo maps etc to really narrow down your hunting areas and key in on certain locations. Its a very good read and can really help you formulate a game plan for this hunt.

Excellent book! Also highly recommend! :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you'll be fine... especially if the other guys wax their backs too!  JK... sounds like quite an adventure..

Thanks for reminding me - I better go next week and get it done again!

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Hunting big new woods is a lot of fun, but usually unproductive.  If you have locals that know and hunt the area, that is a huge help.

I hunt Pittsburg, NH every November, and that town is 230+ sq.miles, most of which is huntable.  In NH, if it isn't posted, it's huntable.  Up there the deer have so much range that they're on a 3-day pattern--meaning you'll never see the same deer two-three days in a row.  They roam a wide area, which makes patterning them a challenge.  Fresh snow is a very good thing to have since you can find trails easier and check prints to see how long ago the deer used them.

You're already good with managing your scent, so you have little to worry about there.  As opposed to NJ deer, large range deer aren't used to human smells, so that will freak them out at greater distances.

1,100 acres isn't as big as you think (it is for NJ).  You can walk across it in few hours in most cases, and this is to your advantage.  I would definitely get a TOPO of the area, locate your camp, fireroads, and other entry points.  It'll make scouting and moving around a lot easier, and you won't make as much noise fighting the thick on the ground.

Good luck!  Even if you don't see deer it'll be worth the experience.  I still haven't seen a deer in Pittsburg, but I go up very year because I get to sit in the cold north woods with no cell reception and get to take it all in.

NH is an even tougher hunt than Maine, but very similar. Good luck up there!