IGNORED

Hunting out of state Big Woods never hunted before

JHbowhunter

Get this book and read it immediately. Mapping Trophy Whitetails. It's a book all about hunting big bucks in the woods of Ohio and Indiana and how to use topo maps etc to really narrow down your hunting areas and key in on certain locations. Its a very good read and can really help you formulate a game plan for this hunt.

Sorry, it's mapping trophy bucks. Here ya go.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0873495039/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476912449&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=mapping+trophy+bucks&dpPl=1&dpID=61hIC02cSnL&ref=plSrch

Have fun, Jack. I met and hunted with a ton of people through the internet. The odds are in your favor that they are good people who have your best interest at heart. The hunting in a big  woods is hunting in a big woods. Deer sign is deer sign no matter where you find it. Good luck!

Really 1100 acres is big woods? The state forest I hunt here in NJ is 3400 and while I call it the "big woods" (for south jersey standards), I really don't think of that as big woods.  Even the state land I've hunted in NY's southern tier was 5500 acres and still don't feel thats "big woods"  I think you will be fine.  

As far as hunting with someone from Bowsite, honestly the more times I get let down by my "hunting buddys" I'm really starting to think thats not a bad way to find someone who is like minded, prepared, and willing to make such hunts happen.  

Hilly areas is a challenge to hunt and can be difficult for flatlanders with no bait. I like ridge tops, their is usually a trail going right along the top or I find a lot of trails just off the ridges on the side hill. Careful on the tops, those hill deer will spot your silouette. I like finding those cedar patches if there are any around. You may be able to find those cedar patches up high on the sides of the hills from bing maps or google earth. I also look for the saddles. The bottoms are hard to hunt with the wind but stay on the higher side. I like the bottom hump of finger ridges, deer seem to follow the ridges down to almost the bottom where they bale off. Ditches and drainages where a few meet up like a hub. Also look where multiple terrain features join together. Always seems to be activity.

www.liftxrentals.com

I don't think you will have problems hunting with people from the internet. Long before a hunt even starts, there is usually a lot of conversation and you pretty much can tell if the guy is a whack job or it is a guy you could hunt with. I have met a few good people on hunting sites. I have also gave them invites to hunt my farm in Illinois. I had one guest from NJH year before last hunt with me in Illinois, he is going again for this years shotgun season in Illinois and we are both hunting Iowa for the first time, I have another guy from NJWW and NJH tagging along for a bowhunt in Illinois within the next 2 weeks. I believe you have also received the invite. As far as the shower goes Jack, I have done some remote hunts in Alaska and BC. The whole no showering thing for 10 - 14 days freaks me out. Check out a company called Zodi. I purchased this product and let me tell you it was the best piece of equipment next to my sleeping bag and my gun/bow that I had. https://www.overstock.com/Emergency-Preparedness/Portable-Showers/28117/subcat.html?featuredproduct=7499280&featuredoption=10276123&cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14941734-000-000&gclid=COuDpMC06M8CFY1ahgodmKoNzA&gclsrc=aw.ds I bought the single one being weight restricted flying on float planes in and out

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Thanks for reminding me - I better go next week and get it done again!

Jack put your big boy pants on. Nothing but a good hunting experience is going to happen. I've gone into remote hunting camps without knowing anyone or knowing where the game was. I relied on a guide or my own hunting knowledge. Remember it's all about the adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk