IGNORED

Registering a canoe without paperwork

Hanky

Hi guys,

A friend of mine gave me a canoe from the 70s that he has no paperwork on, it's 14' and I'd like to use it without a motor for small lakes. I've registered titled boats to the state but am having a hard time understanding how to register a boat without any paperwork at all, if it's even possible. Anyone ever do it?

Thanks..

Go to this site  http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/boat-registration.php 

What Not to Register

• Non-motorized inflatable devices.
  • Non-motorized surfboards.
  • Non-motorized dinghies.
  • Non-motorized racing shells.
  • Non-motorized canoes and kayaks.
Edited by RPK0620

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

You guys aren't kidding....I'm not backing a Viking down the boat ramp without papers...I'm looking to take my nephew out in a stinking canoe....they sure don't make it easy

You're right they don't make it easy and that is the point.  It's all about the bureaucracy and writing tickets for "non-compliance"and "violations" and not about you having an enjoyable time in the short period of time we have here on the earth with your family.  Not worth it.

You guys aren't kidding....I'm not backing a Viking down the boat ramp without papers...I'm looking to take my nephew out in a stinking canoe....they sure don't make it easy

From the official state website:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/VehicleBoats.htm

Boats and marine equipment that do not have to be registered

• Those not based in New Jersey or operating for less than 180 consecutive days
  • Foreign vessels
  • U.S. public vessels
  • Ship's lifeboats 
  • Non-motorized vessels used exclusively on small lakes and ponds on private property
  • Racing vessels with New Jersey State Marine Police permit 
  • Non-motorized inflatable devices, surfboards, racing shells, dinghies, canoes and kayaks
  • Non-motorized vessels less than 12 feet in length

Another helpful link with a PDF:  http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/PI-135.pdf

I've never gotten a title for any of my kayaks.  I bought both in NJ and was never told to get a title.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Just take it out, for the loops you have to go through to get it done through the state :banghead: . you are better off. Its a canoe and you want to take your nephew out. As long as you don't have a motor on it I doubt they will bother you. Tell them you thought it was a 12 footer :think: . He would have to be a real prick to bother you in a canoe