IGNORED

Registering a canoe without paperwork

Hanky

• 1 month later...

This was actually informative, I thought canoes were exempt. I wonder if they would really bust you if you put an electric trolling motor on it though?

I have been caught with my canoe and trolling motor. one time the warden said just go get it registered. another time he never even said anything. just wanted to see my licenses.

IMO to have to register a friggin canoe with a dinky trolling motor is ridiculous. but it is the law. now a days I just paddle to avoid everything. I will say I paddle an old town 119. so its a small and very easy canoe to paddle at just under 12 feet long

From the official state website:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/VehicleBoats.htm

Boats and marine equipment that do not have to be registered

• Those not based in New Jersey or operating for less than 180 consecutive days
  • Foreign vessels
  • U.S. public vessels
  • Ship's lifeboats 
  • Non-motorized vessels used exclusively on small lakes and ponds on private property
  • Racing vessels with New Jersey State Marine Police permit 
  • Non-motorized inflatable devices, surfboards, racing shells, dinghies, canoes and kayaks
  • Non-motorized vessels less than 12 feet in length

Another helpful link with a PDF:  http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/PI-135.pdf

I've never gotten a title for any of my kayaks.  I bought both in NJ and was never told to get a title.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Regarding if they will give you a ticket or not w/o proper registration with a motorized craft...

It depends on who you get. Many will let you go and/or it will go unnoticed. Many will write you a ticket. Its dumb, a pia yes and whether or not I agree with the rules, I try to control the variables I can. Just sayin

From the official state website:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/VehicleBoats.htm

Boats and marine equipment that do not have to be registered

• Those not based in New Jersey or operating for less than 180 consecutive days
  • Foreign vessels
  • U.S. public vessels
  • Ship's lifeboats 
  • Non-motorized vessels used exclusively on small lakes and ponds on private property
  • Racing vessels with New Jersey State Marine Police permit 
  • Non-motorized inflatable devices, surfboards, racing shells, dinghies, canoes and kayaks
  • Non-motorized vessels less than 12 feet in length

Another helpful link with a PDF:  http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/PI-135.pdf

I've never gotten a title for any of my kayaks.  I bought both in NJ and was never told to get a title.

Your Receipt was your so-called title.  I have had 4 different Kayaks one with a motor That is another story :eek:  and they do have a serial # on them If you buy one privately ask for a written signed receipt in case one day you are out with it and someone puts claim to it I had hidden markings in case it was ever stolen. 

• 4 months later...

Well, I'm just now going through this (or, contemplating going through it).

I just got a Beavertail 1200 - the manufacturer's statement of origin states length of boat is 12' 1" (Are you !@#% kidding me???) - of course, on all the website product pages, they say its 12' even. They have to put that extra inch, seriously??

The good news is on this statement of origin, its declared as a "canoe". Also states propulsion is "manual". So no need to title or register since it is a non-motorized canoe - I do not have a trolling motor.

BUT! Here's the thing that scares me. I would like to one day get a trolling motor for this. But as soon as I do, its considered a motorized boat and thus needs to be registered regardless of size or type of boat. If I get a trolling motor next year, or even next month, I immediately have to not only register it, but you need a title first to be able to register BUT if its past 10-days of original purchase date, I might be fined!!

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Boats.htm

"How to get an initial boat title
Boats must be titled within 10 working days of purchase or are subject to a fine."

WTH?? I don't need a title yet. I only need a title when I need to register and I only need to register when/if I get at trolling motor, which might be after 10 working days since purchase (it already has been!!!).

I can't imagine having to explain this to a DMV drone behind the counter. I might just forget the whole trolling motor thing simply because this state is absolutely ridiculous.

I had emailed DMV my question - they told me to call the Title Records Unit. I just got off the phone with them (Title Records Unit at 609-292-6500, ext. 5010).

It is interesting what I was told (it's actually a good thing that uses common sense - go figure!)

I told the guy I recently bought a canoe - that is the type of vehicle specified on the Statement of Origin. It has "manual" propulsion (i.e. non-motorized) - again that is listed on the Statement of Origin. I confirmed with him that as-is, I do not need it titled or registered. He said correct.

I then said, "I want to buy a trolling motor to put it on my canoe - would I then have to get a title and register it?" He told me flat out "No, because that doesn't change the type of vehicle it is".

So I am good to go - even with a trolling motor, because it is classified as a non-motorized canoe, I do not need title, registration, or any of the requirements that would go with it (no need to keep a boating safety certificate on board, for example).

And to answer the OPs question - since his friend's boat is a "canoe" that is "non-motorized", no need for paperwork at all. No title nor registration needed. Same as me.

NJMV contradicts them selfs with any Boat over 12 feet need to be registered and then in the same Paragraph list the exceptions.    just read the link you posted.

Want an answer ask NJSPMarine division they have to enforce the laws. 

4 of my last Kayaks were bought at the Jersey Paddler Brick No longer there. My first Wilderness Pamlico Excel  ( Sink ) Sit in Side 2 man. was bought at the same owner but he ran it in his Gas Station.

My point Most Dealer should have your answers and walk you thru it. 

Not sure where you see a contradiction - I read on that link: "all boats more than 12 feet in length must be titled at a Regional Service Center or MVC Agency. The only exceptions are: ship's lifeboat, canoe, kayak, inflatable boat, ..."

That's not a contradiction, it is just listing the exceptions to the 12-foot rule.

My concern was the issue between what the difference is between non-motorized and motorized - is a non-motorized canoe suddenly classified as a motorized canoe by putting a trolling motor on it? This isn't clear and not mentioned on their website - but the guy told me putting a trolling motor on a non-motorized canoe does not change its classification.

Though I may take your advice and talk to NJSP Marine and see what they say, too.

[update: when in doubt, check the actual laws. I just found this - the law doesn't even talk about "non-motorized" vs. "motorized" for canoes! Its just "if you have a canoe, it doesn't need to be numbered". Funny that the actual statute is more clear than the DMV website. 

12:7-34.38.   Numbering of vessels required; exemptions

3.    Except as herein otherwise provided, every vessel which is upon the waters of this State shall be numbered in accordance with the provisions of this act, and no person shall operate or give permission to operate any vessel on such waters unless it is so numbered.

A vessel shall not be required to be numbered under this act if it is:

(h)    A non-motorized, inflatable surfboard, racing shell, rowing scull, tender for direct transportation between a vessel and the shore and for no other purpose (dinghy), or vessel, except power vessels, of 12 feet or less in length;

(i)    A canoe or kayak; or

(j)    A sailboat of 12 feet or less in length.

A sailboat shall be required to be numbered under this act if it is any class of one-design sailboat, in excess of 12 feet in length, which is temporarily or permanently equipped with power installed either inboard or outboard.

Notice if you attach a trolling motor to a sailboat larger than 12', THAT requires it to be registered - no such restriction exists for "(i) A canoe or kayak"

Edited by mazzgolf