IGNORED

Registering a canoe without paperwork

Hanky

Registration for a non-motorized canoe is a cash cow splash. Feed the cow!

Fake News Reread the Canoe Kayak section AGAIN   :hmmmer:  

There is a Difference between Registration and a Title which seems to be getting mixed up. Most, not all have a Safty decal and Serial Number.  

Titles are Free can be from a Sales Slip Receipt to a handwritten paper from one owner to the other. 

Remember if you put a MOTOR on any boat that requires a Registration ( Hull Numbers )  You must complete the Course to Become a Captain  :rant:  That is the Money Pit.  Emagine a 14-foot Motorized runabout That has a 45lb Thrust Trolling motor with a Captain- Executive Officer and The Master Baiter, Add all the Coastguard Requirements,  where the hell do you put a Cooler and Life Raft :rofl:  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

You must complete the Course to Become a Captain  :rant:  

This is inaccurate.  You do not need to have a captain's license for a motorized boat.  You need to pass a Boater Safety Course and proof of that will allow you to get a BOAT endorsement on your driver's license.  You need to provide proof of the license entitlement and the Boater Safety Course card to law enforcement if the occasion arises.

A captain's license is a requirement if you're going to haul passengers for fare or cargo for fare.  The requirements to get a captain's license are pretty strict and involved.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Titles are Free can be from a Sales Slip Receipt to a handwritten paper from one owner to the other. 

Is this true??  The way I read the DMV information, titles are most definitely not free - even for homemade boats!!

From the NJ DMV here: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Boats.htm

How to get an initial boat title

Boats must be titled within 10 working days of purchase or are subject to a fine. Titles are only issued at an MVC Agency.

Fee payment:

American Express®, MasterCard®, Visa®, check, money order or cash

$60 for standard boat

$85 for a financed boat

How to title a homemade boat

To title and/or register a home made boat, visit your local MVC Agency with proof of identification and the following:

Original receipts for all parts purchased

Notarized statement outlining all construction details

Fee payment; $60 standard boat or $85 financed

• 4 years later...

Hi. New here....

So since boats that are "Those not based in New Jersey or operating for less than 180 consecutive days" do not need to be registered.  What if I live in PA and just am going to use a canoe with trolling motor for 1 week over the summer?  I interpret that as my boat does not need to be registered (since I live in PA and will only use it for a week in NJ then return to PA).

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

No register canoe in NJ.  Some places may restrict all motors, so check on that

:praying:13-year-old thread I would think:nerd:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

On 7/7/2017 at 11:55 AM, Haskell_Hunter said:

This is inaccurate.  You do not need to have a captain's license for a motorized boat.  You need to pass a Boater Safety Course and proof of that will allow you to get a BOAT endorsement on your driver's license.  You need to provide proof of the license entitlement and the Boater Safety Course card to law enforcement if the occasion arises.

A captain's license is a requirement if you're going to haul passengers for fare or cargo for fare.  The requirements to get a captain's license are pretty strict and involved.

You are spot on 1957buck has some bad information there.

Edited by bushden
SPELLING

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL