IGNORED

Waiting till 1st light for an AM hunt

dlist777

I've always tried to get to my hunting spot 30-60 mins before first light.  But, I'm starting to question that strategy.  I got to my stand early the other day and watched a fellow hunter come in a few minutes later with his light on.  It was just alot of noise and that light really penetrates.  

I'm real careful about my approach.  I don't walk through fields in the morning; I always have some type of access point to avoid blowing them off of feeding areas.  But, I've never really seen a first light buck.  I'm thinking I'm just blowing them out on my way in (esp when I'm using a portable) just through noise and headlamp.  

I'm wondering if isn't a better strategy to just wait until right at first light and then start moving in with no light.  I might miss a few minutes of shooting light but I probably reduce my chances of being detected 5x.  

Thoughts?  

Edited by dlist777

I'd disagree here....although I usually get into the woods about 45 minutes to an hour before first light. I've seen most of my action when I'm up in a tree as the sun is coming up. That being said, I've also had some of my buddies roll out of bed hung over and come in 15-30 minutes after first light and take something nice after being in their stand for 30 minutes. I think it part of it is personal preference. I'm an early bird and am usually excited about getting in the woods early so I'm always anxious to get out of bed when I hunt mornings. Even if I don't see anything, I tell myself it's worth it. 

Is there a way to approach without a light? My best morning stand takes me a few extra minutes to get to because I go slow without the aid of any light. I have jumped deer on my way in many times. But I climb the tree, give a couple very short low grunts and have had deer come walking right in.  I have had deer feeding within shooting distance as legal times comes in despite bumping them in the dark. I 100% believe it is because I do not use any light.

Buy yourself a green headlight and don’t look back. 

They don’t spook deer like a white light does. 

And oddly many times they don’t move away at all 

have had deer around my stand as I got there  many times when I get in tree and look back down they are still there 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

10 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Buy yourself a green headlight and don’t look back. 

They don’t spook deer like a white light does. 

And oddly many times they don’t move away at all 

have had deer around my stand as I got there  many times when I get in tree and look back down they are still there 

This is sound advice, I use my predator hunting headlamp on the walk-in and have illuminated eyes before but have NOT pushed deer away.  Walk slow but deliberately, and like hammer said, don't look back, eyes forward and I think you will be more successful.  

There is a different school of thought on this. I prefer to "still hunt" my way to my stand. If you have the right situation, this is better than walking in at dark and blowing the deer out before the sun rises. I have killed many deer doing this. It must be just that right time before daylight but not so dark you can't see about 100 yds in front of you. I also like to sleep in. LOL

Edited by archer36

I’m all about the red light and atleast 1hr before first light when I go to my morning stands. Red or green light obviously helps you see but also especially with red light it does not affect your own natural night vision. So with either light when you turn them off you will have less pupil adjustment once you turn that light off. Plus doesn’t spook the deer for who knows why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter is coming,1st rut done,deer change Patterns,less deer movement,conserve energy,,they bed closesest to southern exposure. Going in now before daylight they here see everything,sound travels more in cold air!I had most success going in  at 10 after snow softens,deer feed at midday 

Edited by hunterbob1
Spelling

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

4 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Winter is coming,1st    rut clone Dee Patten change,less deer move,conserve ,they bed closesest to southern exposure. Going in now before daylight they here see evryt,sound travels more in cold air!I had most success going in  at 10 after snow softens,deer feed at midday 

Once the winter sets I hunt less am because I see less activity AM than PM. 
But on morning hunts I am in a tree and set to hunt at least 1 hr before sun rise